You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, January 30th 2012, 11:09am

How to bury valve box

Well, this coming spring I am going to "redo" some of my system since groundhogs, moles, and other animals really destroyed some of it. I also am going to lay my pipe design out a little better in some areas so I have less pressure loss. And maybe upgrade to a 1" manifold and valves since its 3/4" right now. This will give me another gpm or 2 since the valves are kinda tiny. The laterals are 3/4", but for 3-4 heads a zone I guess thats okay. I'm not redoing the entire system.
When I re-bury my valves, what is the best way to do it. I read somewhere not to drill holes through and pop the pipe through because it will put pressure on the pipes, and break them. Well, that what I did, which is #1 in the pic. And the manifold is bending and warping. Plus, it was a pain in the butt to line up, and I see why :)
How do the pros do it/how do you do it? I believe its #2, right?
Can someone also link me to a shallow valve box. I need 2 boxes (6 valves) and the boxes I have are 15" deep. My pipes are only 6-10" deep though (varies). Making a big box near impossible to bury. Thats why I had to drill holes for piping. I'd like to lay a shallow box over them when I redo it. The laterals are poly 3/4", so bending them down is possible to a point.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "seansy59" (Jan 30th 2012, 11:20am)

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, January 30th 2012, 11:23am

Notching out the valve box for each lateral pipe and mainline entrance does the trick

Getting a valve box extension- laying it upside down ( with the lid ) and laying the regular valve box on top of it . Pour some gravel down at the bottom and use landscape fabric/ duct tape around the notches to help prevent dirt from falling it.

Leave enough room in the manifold system so you can service the valves.

You never want to do #1 or #2... - #1 you can't really service anything and #2 you can break the pipes by stepping on the valve box.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, January 30th 2012, 1:11pm

Notching out the valve box for each lateral pipe and mainline entrance does the trick

Getting a valve box extension- laying it upside down ( with the lid ) and laying the regular valve box on top of it . Pour some gravel down at the bottom and use landscape fabric/ duct tape around the notches to help prevent dirt from falling it.

Leave enough room in the manifold system so you can service the valves.

You never want to do #1 or #2... - #1 you can't really service anything and #2 you can break the pipes by stepping on the valve box.

Thankyou! I will notch out the bottom of the valve box. (#3) I planned on putting this heavy mesh under the box (its heavy metal with very small holes that my neighbor gave me) to keep animals from coming in, then filling the box with pea gravel. Thats what my neighbor did 3 years ago, and all he then ever found in there was bugs. :) He used to have snakes, moles, chipmunks, and even found a groundhog.
For multiple zones (6 valves), do you prefer multiple small single boxes, or 2 large ones. The valves are all located on the side of the house, in an area that is never gone in by a garden. I have 1 or 2 small single boxes located in the middle of a zone with a ballvalve to shut off the water in that zone for maintenance, without having to run back and forth to the house.

I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "seansy59" (Jan 30th 2012, 1:32pm)

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, January 30th 2012, 2:51pm

Try Amazon.com for shallow boxes.