You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dij

Unregistered

Monday, April 9th 2012, 5:16pm

System turns on for only a few seconds

HI there!

Really happy to find this place. I bought this house in December 2010. I couldn't get the sprinkler system to work and just decided to spray the yard myself since it's only about 6'x10'. Since I'm in the desert it's a desert landscape with rocks. I'm required to have at least 5 bushes.

Anyhow, my system is an Ez Jr 8300 series and today I replaced the solenoid. I can now hear the water turn on and go through when I turn the system to manual. However, that's about as far as it gets. A little water might come out of my drip system, but it stops after a few seconds and that's all I get. I tried to reschedule my program to make it turn on normally for a few minutes after the current time and it did the same thing and showed me a 'p' for problem.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!

dij

Unregistered

Monday, April 9th 2012, 5:28pm

just as a follow up, the water does turn on when I turn on the valve.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 9th 2012, 5:29pm

It may be a wiring fault that looks like a short circuit to the controller.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 8:18am

Well controllers are cheap you can replace it. For such a small area you can take up the old lines and replace if you need to. Well worth it IMHO.

Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 8:36am

From the manual: P with a zone number appears on LCD • Wires not connected or short in wires or solenoid • Check field wiring, check wires or solenoid , replace solenoid
• More than 2 solenoids connected to a zone
• TVS damaged due to lightning or improper grounding • Remove zone wire if Pxxz still shows when run manually or
automatically, unit needs service/replacement

dij

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 2:52pm

I opened up the unit to check the wiring. Not sure if anything is wrong...nothing looks wrong. The transformer (TDC power Model No DA-20-24TM) was hot to the touch, though. Not sure if this means anything.

dij

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 2:54pm

I may just get a new controller...seems cheaper than replacing the transformer and all that. I think it's weird, though, that the system does turn on but the water just shuts off. Thanks, guys! I'll see if I can get a controller this week and let you know how it goes. :)

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 11th 2012, 8:23am

I don't know much about drip, but maybe they are clogged up. Do you have a filter? Maybe check it for dirt.

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 11th 2012, 1:37pm

It doesn't sound like a controller problem to me. You very well may have the same problem if you buy a new one. Try disconnecting the ground wire from the controller and running it again. Does it still show the P? If not it's a wiring issue.

Do you have two valves running at the same time? That would be the two solenoids hooked together in Gator's post.

Rate this thread