You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Johnd

Friday, April 20th 2012, 9:53am

Low pressure only on 1 pop up

I must say this has been a fantastic site for learning. I have read probably over a hundred posts and could probably install an irrigation system from scratch. I am however at wits end with a problem. I have 1 popup head on 1 zone that just doesn't have enough pressure to pop up. I replaced the head, pulled out the threaded connector from the funny pipe,flushed the line and still nothing. I checked the valve and opened it manually and ran it together with the system on. I really do not want to dig up my lawn to see if there is a leak underground, but I think this is all I can do. Any ideas? Thanks

Friday, April 20th 2012, 10:47am

Couple of thoughts and questions
Is it the last head on a zone? Could the pressure in that zone be borderline low and just not enough to push that head up?
If you can, cap another head or two on that zone, turn on and see if this head comes up. That would indicate not enough pressure for number of heads.

Unfortunately, a leaking/broken pipe right before the head could also cause the problem. Capping other heads could increase flow enough to possibly overcome the leak and push the head up. If that happens though the water flowing from the break would be under increased pressure and you should see evidence soon.

If it is just low pressure on a zone there may be nozzles you can use to help overcome that problem. Lower gpm per head on all heads and just increase watering time.

Let us know what you find.

Johnd

Friday, April 20th 2012, 8:30pm

Thanks, I'll try capping a couple heads. The sprinkler is on the end, I just don't know if it is first or last. I've had no problems with the system during the 10 years I've had it. It just seemed odd that it would stop working. Btw, the heads I have on that zone are 3/4 in but I don't know the gpm rating, I assume I'll have to change to 1/2 in to reduce the flow rates.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Friday, April 20th 2012, 9:35pm

Hopefully you have no leak. You would have to dig up the PE or PVC from the bad head to the next head.

What heads do you have? Sprays, rotors? To reduce gpm per head you switch out the heads. Sprays have a high gpm and you can change them to rotors which use much less.

Johnd

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 8:02am

I have Hunter rotors. I capped 2 heads yesterday and saw no change in pressure, the head still didn't pop. I see no other option now except to dig up and back trace the line. Arrrgggghh

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 11:36am

If the low-performing head is connected with 3/8-inch swing pipe, there could be a blockage there.

Johnd

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 2:24pm

Ok for anyone interested here is what I did...I traced the funny pipe from the sprinkler back to the 3/4" main line, only about 2ft. I removed the funny pipe and the 3/4 to 1/2 barbed coupler. I saw nothing clogging it but I flushed the line anyway. A lot of air came out before the water, I assume this is normal. I decided to replace the coupler, the funny pipe, the elbow, and the sprinkler (again). Turned on the zone and it is working beautifully. Maybe a rock came out and I just didn't see it, but who cares, it works now. Thanks again for this great site!

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 3:24pm

Looks like Wet-boots nailed this one.

Glad to hear it's working again.

We always appreciate updates to problems. Especially successful ones.

Rate this thread