You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

srockey

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 7:46pm

Broken pvc pipe repair

I have a 3/4 pvc pipe that broke right where it connects to the valve. What options do I have to repair the break? Will I need a new valve?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve in Central Florida

In the link to a picture of my problem, the valve can be seen in the lower left, the crack runs about 6 inches right up to the crack.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 9:11pm

Yes, you will need a new valve, a 1"to 3/4 Reducer bushing, maybe a 1" coupling, maybe a 3/4 coupling, some 3/4 pipe, some primer/and pvc glue/cement, some silicone filled wire nuts, wire cutters, a pvc cutter. I am tired just typing about it.

It should be an easier repair, just to it.

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 8:25am

One thing Todd forgot to mention: allow plenty of time.
You might consider getting a valve that has threaded connections for your replacement. In THEORY it will make any future replacement easier. In theory.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 1:55pm

Hopefully they left you enough pipe on the other side of the valve so you can cut it off. It would be a bummer if you had to rebuild the whole manifold just to change a valve.
They do make a tool that will drill out the pvc pipe. It's not cheap but does work. I paid about 40 dollars for mine. I've only needed it three or four times in the 10 years I've owned it. But it saved about 6 hours work since I didn't have to rebuild the manifold.
Another time I was able to clean out a fitting two feet under a cement patio and reglue it.

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 3:27pm

mrfixit,
can you put a link to the tool?
Haven't seen it.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 5:08pm

Scroll down to the fitting saver. Notice how the cut pvc debris comes out. No saw dust left behind. It's a pretty amazing tool.

Fitting Saver

P.S. You don't have to buy a whole kit. They sell them individually. 1/2, 3/4 and 1".

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Apr 26th 2012, 5:16pm)

Friday, April 27th 2012, 8:25am

Well, that just went on my 'must get' list.
Thanks.

Rate this thread