You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kalivoda

Tuesday, July 3rd 2012, 4:59pm

Drip irrigation lines dont turn off completely

It's the weirdest thing... I noticed that there was some water leaking from my drip irrigation when the system was off. I checked the controller (rain dial) and fount it to be working correctly. Next I turned off the water to the irrigation system & that stopped the leaking. I tried replacing the valve diaphragm, but it did not fix the problem, so I replaced the entire valve (irritrol), turned the water on, ran the system... everything seemed fine. An hour later I see that its still leaking. To be clear its not really a leak, but rather the drips run at very low pressure almost unnoticeable until an hour or 2 goes by and I can see the water on the ground. Any Idea what the problem could be?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 8:33am

What's the flow rate of the drip zone when it's on?

kalivoda

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 9:18am

I don't know? How do I find out? I have the flow control knob turned all the way down, if I turn it up the drips come on even if I cut power to the controller at the breaker. I also have 2 sprinkler valves on the same controller that work fine, just the 1 zone giving me problems.

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 10:58am

If a valve doesn't have enough water running through it the valve will have a hard time operating correctly. In your case it wont shut off all the way.

What happens when you turn the flow control down as far as you can making sure the drippers still operate?

Here's a couple of valves designed for low flow.

Inline
Anit-Syphon

kalivoda

Wednesday, July 4th 2012, 9:08pm

I have the flow control all the way down as far as it goes and the issue remains the same. after reading your post I checked all my drips and found 1 the drip is broken so its just spraying water... could that be the problem? either way I have to fix it so I'll try that and hope for the best. its under a bush so I didn't notice it before but I can hear the water rushing.

I am using an irritrol 2500 series valve

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 5th 2012, 10:17am

If you drip zone flow is very low (use your water meter to figure out the actual flow rate) then reliable valve operation is not a given. Also, it always possible for the solenoid to not be sealing tight.

kalivoda

Friday, July 6th 2012, 11:56am

ok this is weird. I turned the system on manually to run a cycle and another valve for sprinklers keeps running even after the cycle ends. I turned the water off, and in the morning I turned the water back on and the sprinklers came on. I checked the valve and its turned closed unless the solenoid is stuck or something.

Rate this thread