You are not logged in.

Monday, July 9th 2012, 11:19pm

Leak at heads for valve inlet

I just finished my first solo system installation, and went to charge the lines today and check for leaks. Eveything looks good except the male inlet threads leading into the valves. Both of them have a tiny drip. Of course eveything leading to those male couplers is glued. Can I apply any sort of sealant to the threads and not have to cut out/replace the inlets?

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 5:01am

Nope. No such animal.

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 8:13am

First, boots is usually right.

On the off chance...
There is one product that may/may not help.
It is designed to fix pinhole leaks in slip connections, not threaded.
If you try it and it doesn't work you will end up buying a new valve.
It's calledleak stopper.

Now that I've given you that idea, I'll tell you that if it was mine I'd cut the valves out and rebuild.
Harder to do but far better in the long run.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 9:09am

that's a whole lot better than the Leak-Ender 2000 image I was tempted to post :D

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 9:17am

That's weird stuff.
Never bought any on the "if it's too good to be true.." idea.
I have this visual of spraying it on a leaking pipe, turning on water and watching this huge bubble form.
I think I'd go with bubble gum first.

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 11:08am

Just cut the pipe and unscrew the valve. Use teflon tape to seal the leak. Make sure you use enough.
Do NOT use pipe dope. It can clog up your valve.

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 11:45am

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone. I was hoping for a quick fix, but did as yall suggested and cut out the pipe, unscrewed the valve and started over. The nice thing about doing that is I was able to add some Teflon to the backside, and get a few more turns out of the valve to prevent any future leakage there as well. Dope is drying on the other fittings, and we should be good to go.

Thanks again

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 11:47am

I think I'd go with bubble gum first.

I thought about that :thumbsup:

Rate this thread