You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

camner

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 12:35pm

Pressure regulator for drip system

There are many preset pressure regulators, ranging from 15 to about 40psi. On what basis should I choose what pressure to restrict the system to? Seems the lower the pressure, the less likely to blow out a fitting, but also, the less pressure, the less volume, no?

Other things to think about?

Tuesday, July 17th 2012, 1:40pm

Some sprays and tubing are designed for certain psi.
These fan sprays are designed for 20psi.
This 1/4" drip line designed for 15psi
Others give you a range, 15-30, or 20-50.
The manufacturer will have recommendations for each part.
For example, look at theDIG manual , page 11-12.
Pressure too high can give diminished performance and/or damage components.

Dripper

Tuesday, August 28th 2012, 9:06pm

Regulator questions

I'm trying to set up a eight dripper line for my four hanging tomato plants (one on each side of each planter) and cannot seem to knock down the pressure from my outside hose tap to keep the drip fittings from what I suppose is blowing and spraying a steady stream?!? Is this even possible or am I fighting a losing battle? I bought a cheap drip line kit from Harbor freight(I know,I know) and bought a 12-35 psi adjustable regulator (no joy) and then a 10-60 with a built in filter and had no luck with that one either...HELP! ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 29th 2012, 12:08am

buying anything irrigation at Harbor Freight is fighting a losing battle - what water pressure are you starting with?

Dripper

Thursday, August 30th 2012, 4:58pm

Drip regulator

I'm estimating over 100 at the outside tap. I try to ease it on, but the second I get any pressure my first dripper(which I've replaced twice with the cheap ones) sprays a steady stream and the remaining drippers eventually start dripping. I'm tentative about buying more expensive ones in fear of ruining them also?!?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 30th 2012, 7:01pm

Invest in a pressure gauge. Stop guessing. Prepare to spend real money for a real PRV

Dripper

Friday, August 31st 2012, 3:56am

Why aren't people getting behind this Drip irrigation?!?

Okay, so let's see if I have this right. To set up a drip system for my 4 tomato plants I need to get a pressure tester, even though we know that my pressure is ~100 psi and at that pressure it probably will not make any difference 25 psi either way and prepare to spend some "real money" for a "PRV"?!? (pressure relief or reducing valve?!? googled it) by the way using abbreviations on a sight where people are asking for help is really not good. I'm really not sure...but I may be getting an idea of why people are not jumping on the drip bandwagon, nobody I know has extra money to waste these days and I'm just trying to "get by without shovin" but thanks for your time and good luck with your movement!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 31st 2012, 7:11am

The reason you need a pressure gauge is to know what manner of pressure regulator can work for you. At 100 psi or more, you are in a place where nothing but brass may work for you.

Besides, for all of four plants, you don't need drip. You can use regular flood bubblers.

mrfixit

Friday, August 31st 2012, 2:12pm

Is the dripper coming apart or is it just coming off the end of the tube?
They have high pressure clamps for drip that will keep the emitter from coming off.
You might have a problem finding them though.
I don't know of any store that sells these. I saw them at Walmart once years ago.
I've bought 1000 from a company online, 500 at a time. It's the only place I could find that sold them in bigger bags.
Bags of 25.
Much cheaper that way.
High Pressure Clamp < Click on that.

Rate this thread