You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jkabrown

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 8:16am

Not sure where leak is located

Still trying to get the hang of a new house's irrigation system. Zone 3 (of 4) has one sprinkler, a Rainbird Maxi-paw, that seeps water for a long time after the zone shuts off. Its to the point where if I take the sprinkler off of the pipe, there is a steady flow still coming out of the pipe itself that fills the hole I dug to look at the sprinkler in question and runs down the street. I have not noticed any of the other sprinklers acting this way in the zone. Not sure if a broken pipe, leaking valve or ?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 8:34am

If the water finally stops seeping, then no worries. If it never stops seeping, you have a valve problem. If the valve is okay, but the water is causing problems, then get a SAM version of the head to replace the original

jkabrown

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 8:59am

Wet_Boots, thanks for the reply. I guess my biggest concern is the sheer amount of water that fills the hole and runs down the gutter. The water does shut off eventually so we can eliminate the valve. It is the sprinkler that is furthest from the valve. Is there a way to check the integrity of the pipes that the sprinkler attaches to? There is a "T" that allows a swing arm and a drain (All the heads have a drain either attached or built into the line near the head) at this point. Maybe the glue or connecting points have failed?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 9:45am

nothing will prevent water draining from a low head in a zone, unless that low head has a built-in check valve - that's your Maxipaw SAM head (SAM = Stop-A-Matic)

jkabrown

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 10:37am

Sorry. Should have mentioned that the excess water is a relatively new occurrence and the sheer amount of water is the concern, particularly after seeing this month's water bill.

Thursday, July 19th 2012, 11:31am

might be a real slow closing valve.
Worn diaphragm, debris, etc.
I'd open and clean/fix valve first.