You are not logged in.

mrroberts2u

Unregistered

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 10:23am

Leaking shut off valve

The above picture shows a leaking shut off valve. I have already replaced the poppet and bobbet assembley. My question is can I replace only the shut off valve? Alos I have noticed the pipes coming from the main water supply are corroded. Can I replace them with another material other than brass?
---

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jul 29th 2012, 12:25pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 10:47am

your photo is not showing

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 29th 2012, 1:28pm

Is the shutoff valve cracked or is it dripping from the handle? Simple fix if it is just dripping from the handle!
1. Remove nut that holds the handle on.
2. Remove handle
3. Tighten the "Packing Nut" or the nut behind the blue handle.
It usually doesn't take much tightening, usually a quarter turn or so.
As for replacing the pipes, don't bother. They are copper pipes and are not corroded, just oxidized. Save your money for when/if something actually breaks.

mrroberts2u

Starting Member

Monday, July 30th 2012, 5:38am

Thanks

Ok, thanks for the help for the shutoff valve and the question about replacing the pipes. Last night, my wife pointed out to me that there is a drip at the bottom of the main supply line (?) This pipe is coming from inside the house and at the bottom of it there is a release nut/valve (Same thing as on the Febco 765 Poppet Assembly) I am sorry for all the wrong terminology and such as I am a newbie to this.

Rate this thread