You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

zursch

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 7:01pm

orbit 1" sprinkler valve won't turn off....help...

I am about to toss in the towel! I have a 1" orbit sprinkler valve that will not turn off. Have taken it apart, put in a new diaphragm, new solenoid, and a new cap. Tested the electrical connection for power. But, once I turn on the water, the valve stays open. When I move the manual bypass lever to on, continues to run. As I rotate it to closed, I do get "clunking" in the line, seems the valve is trying to shut off, but then the water stays on. If I unscrew the solenoid a bit (1/4 turn) the flow slows, but does not stop. I have cycled the system, but the valve still does not turn off. I am afraid that I may have to dig up the box and replace the entire assembly. Really don't want to do that.

My system is from secondary water, I have a pump to up the pressure when engaged. But, when I turn off the water to the entire system, then turn it on again, I still have the open valve.... The other two valves in the box (both the same type), both work correctly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 10:19pm

Are you 100% sure you've repaired the correct valve?

zursch

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 10:49pm

Pretty confident I did, or have the right one. When I turn on the black "on" lever, other zones come on. So I believe I have it right.

mrfixit

Friday, September 14th 2012, 2:19am

Take the bonnet off and look for debris. There could be something keeping the diaphragm from closing all the way.

mrfixit

Friday, September 14th 2012, 7:37pm

While you're in there, check and see if the spring is missing.