You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Boyd11

Starting Member

Wednesday, September 26th 2012, 8:39pm

leak

I have an area next to the head that has been extremely soggy all summer. Finally dug it up tonight, looking for a leak in the line. No such luck, the line doesn't appear to go in the direction of the leak. I noticed as I had it cleared out that there was water coming out the top of the head, a constant wetness. So, I changed the head. As I took the head off, water came out of the bottom hose. Not sure if this is normal. I didn't wait to see if it quit, but put the new head on. looked good, then I turned it on, appeared fine, but when I turned it off, it appeared that maybe the new head was doing the same as the old. Might there be a problem that something else isn't turning off to hold the water back? Would that be a valve? This isn't a line directly off the box either. Any direction would be great, thanks.

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 26th 2012, 9:05pm

If it weeps 24 hours a day then yes there's a problem with the valve.
If the weeping eventually stops it could just be low head drainage.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 26th 2012, 9:05pm

It is the zone valve. You have a "weeping valve"

mrfixit

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 4:33am

You have a weeping valve.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 28th 2012, 3:28am

Gravity drains water out of most sprinkler heads that are the lowest ones on the zone. This is usually not a problem, since the drainage eventually stops. If the drainage never stops, you have a problem valve.

mrfixit

Friday, September 28th 2012, 1:56pm

Turn the water off to your system. Let things dry up. Turn the water back on to confirm where the water's coming from.

Rate this thread