You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Friday, February 27th 2004, 7:28am

Want to keep my two zones separate from each other

Basically,

I want to install two zones for the time being and install up to six zones later on. Anyway, what i have a question is my front yard design layout for zone 1. I will have 6 or 7 sprinklers on this one zone (zone 1), however, I have a rock garden on the extreme left of the lawn that I want watered as part of zone 2. This rock garden has a fox tail palm, some ginger trees and another small palm. These only require very little watering per week. There will be two patches of grass (probably 32 sq. feet each) in the front and back of the rock garden that I want to water with zone 1. How can I: (1) Water these patches of grass along with the rest of the front yard ?(2) Can I eliminate overspray getting on the rock garden that I want to water for zone 2. I understand that using spray nozzles that they should all be on the same throw distance to eliminate wasting water (from what i've read). The set distance for these nozzles will be around 15'. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I wish i had a drawing of the dilemna, but I don't at the moment. Thanks [|)]

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 29th 2004, 8:09am

You will need to separate the zones. Make the lawn zone one and the garden zone two, because the lawn will require more water than the garden. You can place the heads along the garden spraying outward, and then zone two you can either place the heads in the garden, or around the garden spraying inward. With the separate zone just for the garden you will be able to run them for a shorter period of time, or every couple of days depending on what you want.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 2nd 2004, 4:23am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rays Sprinklers</i>
<br />You will need to separate the zones. Make the lawn zone one and the garden zone two, because the lawn will require more water than the garden. You can place the heads along the garden spraying outward, and then zone two you can either place the heads in the garden, or around the garden spraying inward. With the separate zone just for the garden you will be able to run them for a shorter period of time, or every couple of days depending on what you want.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey thanks,

I was thinking something similar. Another question i have is: for the sprayheads facing away from the garden (zone 1), on one side, there is about 13' from the rock garden to the street. My spray head will be spraying 15' so obviously there will be overspray on the street. I understand I can adjust the throw on this nozzle to like 13' but i'm concerned that it will possibly mess up the total gpm of the zone (maybe not enough water or too much). Am i correct in assuming this or how would I solve this problem? thanks again

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Tuesday, March 2nd 2004, 8:17am

Tuning down from 15 to 13 is acceptable. You can go with the Raibvird 14' VAN nozzels instead. ANd tune down even less. I personally like the RB Van Nozzles better. I hook them up to the HUNTER SRS's

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Thursday, March 11th 2004, 9:53am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aquamatic</i>
<br />Tuning down from 15 to 13 is acceptable. You can go with the Raibvird 14' VAN nozzels instead. ANd tune down even less. I personally like the RB Van Nozzles better. I hook them up to the HUNTER SRS's

It's looking now like I'll be using the Rainbird 3500 series rotors with a 15' throw for the above design. To me, this will work for the rest of the grass on zone 1, but i'm unsure of how it will work around the rock garden because it's 14' from the garden to the street on one side and grass in between. I'm thinking two rotors like mentioned before spraying outwards from the garden. One side of the rock garden will be fine as it is 17' of grass and don't have to worry about overspray. However, one side as mentioned before, is only 14' away from the street (15' min. throw on rotors). I'm thinking i will have quite a bit of overspray on the street. I'm not worried so much about pedestrians as these will be early morning waterings, but more on wasting water. What should I do? I am in what looks to be real dilemna, so if someone could help with this design i'd appreciate it. I changed from spray heads to rotors because of the high GPM requirements that would have been needed for the spray heads. I would like this to really work with the rotors for the grass, so any help appreciated. thanks

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Friday, March 12th 2004, 3:25am

Bump:: Anyone??

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 4:28am

So you are worried about 1 ft of overspray? 14 ft to the street and 15 ft of throw? This sounds fine to me but I am not a pro.
Thanks,

Pete

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Saturday, March 13th 2004, 3:40pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpete3</i>
<br />So you are worried about 1 ft of overspray? 14 ft to the street and 15 ft of throw? This sounds fine to me but I am not a pro.

that's what I thought. [8D] I don't think it will be too big of a deal when i've seen design with like 5 ft or more of overspray. Any others want to comment?

Rate this thread