You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

amfoulk

Thursday, December 27th 2012, 8:59pm

Need help with mistake. Cut main! >_<

I wanted to cut off my sprinkler system entirely and remove it. However I can't make heads or tails of how it was laid out. In the picture I need to know if you guys think this will affect the water coming into my house or not. I don't think it will, but I have obviously been wrong before.

Story: I have been digging up this system for several days now and it goes all over my yard with bits of metal and rock propping up the pipe at some points. There are kinks and twist that make me wonder how it ever worked. Finally I decided to scrap the sprinkler system and just keep the one line that goes to the planters in the back of the yard. This is where we get to the picture. I started digging and removed the thin hollow "slab" that was covering the piping. I thought I had finally found something that made a little sense. So I turned off the water to the house (apparently only the inside of the house.) Thinking back I should have checked more but I just dove in which was dumb. Anyway after the main started shooting water everywhere I ran around trying to find the shut off since the other one was obviously the wrong one. . . there isn't another freaking valve on my house anywhere! Had to call the city to come shut off the water because I wasn't strong enough to do it.

TL;DR Will this cap hold the main back? Will this affect the water inside my house? (picture has more details)

Thank you, Mary

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, December 28th 2012, 7:17am

If you have your water meter in a pit near the curb, you want to have a valve key to be able to open and close the valve(s) next to the meter

amfoulk

Friday, December 28th 2012, 9:19am

We had it shut off at the street after we accidentally cut the main. I guess the issue we have now is not knowing what pipes are going to the house or the sprinklers...Cause should like the main line go to the house directly? I don't know...I'm new to this...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 29th 2012, 5:19pm

this is why they invented professionals - for amateurs, the only sure thing is to uncover ALL the pipes