You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Atkin75

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 9:00am

Main line size

Hello all,

This summer I will be installing an irrigation system my self. I have been purchasing parts this past winter and I am now ready to buy the pipe for the main line, problem is, I'm having difficulty figuring out what diameter to use.

I have municiple water, a 1" copper service line and a 1" meter; the system holds between 47-50 psi and produces about 8 gpm. There will be 7 zones and 42 total sprinkler heads. I live in southeast Michigan so I will be using poly pipe since ground freezing is inevitable.

Any help of advice regarding diameter will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 11:28pm

1" will handle anything up to 15 gpm. Avoid changing pipe sizes, it makes servicing and install cheaper and easier. Your 8 gpm seems low for your water source.

Atkin75

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 10th 2013, 7:08am

Follow up

The original gpm was taken from and outside spigot nearest to the meter. Yesterday I pulled water from just beyond the meter and was easily drawing 12 gpm.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!