You are not logged in.

Rasdebol

Unregistered

Friday, April 26th 2013, 9:53am

Is it usually legal to attach a faucet to a sprinkler system/line ??

Hi!
As one entire side of my house has ZERO water outside I have wanted to tap into the main water feed pipe for the sprinkler system and install a couple of outside faucets for watering purposes (NOT drinking/potable). I am in North Texas and I know rules change from place to place but does anyone now if it is generally OK or generally illegal to do this ?? It is tapped inside of the anti-siphon valve so that is not an issue... Thanks.
Ras

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 26th 2013, 10:31am

If you are tapping into the potable-water supply, upstream of the backflow prevention, then you would want to have a hose-end backflow device on each faucet you add.

Rasdebol

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 12:42pm

Add a faucet to a sprinkler system ??

Wet Boots...Thanks for the reply.
Was hoping someone from Texas would respond just to do a CYA in case some odd STATE rule was in place....
My faucets are past the required anti-siphon valves but do not have those faucet mounted hose end backflow as I didn't think it was needed as the sprinkler system took care of that issue..... Local licensed irrigator / sprinkler guy says it's against the law to have a faucet on a sprinkler line.... I wrote the state licensing office but no answer as yet.
I feel inclined to believe that they meant to not install a faucet from your sprinkler into the house to be used as a regular home faucet (although the water source is the same).... I see no logic in being able to squirt water from a sprinkler head but being illegal to have a place to attach a hose or fill a watering can.... Then again many rules defy logic..
:cursing:

RAS

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 12:58pm

I don't see the usefulness of a faucet downstream of an electric antisyphon valve. Maybe you can elaborate.

Rasdebol

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 1:44pm

RE: Faucet on a sprinkler system....

WBB, maybe I said it wrong upstream/downstream ? The sprinkler system has an anti-siphon valve where it taps into the city water line so everything past that valve is the sprinkler system line so I assume that any faucet attached to it is equally protected by that anti-siphon valve....
In the interim I found the Texas rules and they say (not sure I totally understand the "Purple box" business):

(n) Water contained within the piping of an irrigation system is deemed to be non-potable. No
drinking or domestic water usage, such as, but not limited to, filling swimming pools or decorative
fountains, shall be connected to an irrigation system. If a hose bib (an outdoor water faucet that has hose
threads on the spout) is connected to an irrigation system for the purpose of providing supplemental water
to an area, the hose bib must be installed using a quick coupler key on a quick coupler installed in a
covered purple valve box and the hose bib and any hoses connected to the bib must be labeled "nonpotable, not safe for drinking." An isolation valve must be installed upstream of a quick coupler
connecting a hose bib to an irrigation system.
Looks to me like it IS legal to attach a faucet.....
:D

Thanks....RAS

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 3:13pm

If you have an actual antisyphon valve upstream of a sprinkler system, you have a code violation, no matter where you live. Antisyphon valves can only be installed where there is nothing downstream of them that can stop the flow of water.

Rasdebol

Unregistered

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 9:49am

Faucets on Sprinkler system line....

Forgive the confusion. I am confused by the upstream/downstream thing. Yes, that is what I tried to say. Where the city water comes in there is the one & only anti-siphon valve on the line that feeds water to the sprinkler system as per normal codes. Sprinkler line water is thus prevented from draining back into the city water line.... SO I assumed that this would also prevent any water return from the faucets as the sprinkler system is a closed circuit ..... From the code text I attached I gather they want the faucet bib to be attached via a quick connect and the whole faucet housed in a purple box with a ID tag as Non-Potable. I don't get the purple box business... or why you can just attach the faucet permanently as it is in a box.... Texas thing I guess. ?( If you can make any sense of it please do. Thanks again. RAS

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 11:07am

If you don't trust yourself to describe things accurately, come back with photos.

There is never ever an instance where an atmospheric vacuum breaker (the backflow-prevention part of an antisyphon valve) can feed a multi-zone sprinkler system. That means, if you accurately identified the antisyphon valve, your sprinkler system is a code violation that needs to be remedied.

Rate this thread