You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Cromwe

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 12:45pm

Flooded Valve box

We installed a sprinkler system in November and had it up and running before winter. I've noticed with our extremely wet winter that the valve box is filling with water. Our house is a walkout so the slope is naturally to the back of the house. The valve box is located in a flower bed at the base of the hill near the back of the house. It appeared to be a fairly dry and out of the way area until we got 30+ inches of snow in a fluke winter. Anyway, I know the valves and pipes are not leaking as the box is always bone dry unless we get a large amount of rain or snow. We got an inch and a half of rain last night and the box is completely full of water to the top and the ground completely saturated. I hate to dig up the sod to install drainage pipes all through the yard. Is there anything that we can do to help prevent all this excess water from ended up in the valve box and is it going to harm the wiring/valves? The system has not been powered up since we installed it and no since it's been wet either. Suggestions?

Scott76

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 1:48pm

If you used greased wire nuts when you installed the system, you will be fine with water in the box. The water will go away over time, but the greased wire nuts will protect the electircal connections.

Cromwe

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 2:32pm

So the total submerssion of everything in the valve box won't cause any issues as long as there are waterproof connectors? I've never had a valve box flood like that before. It's not always submerged...just after a heavy rain or melted snow.

Scott76

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 2:35pm

Yep. Waterproof connectors will protect the exposed connections. If you don't have them on the system, don't power it up until the box dries.

Cromwe

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 3:13pm

Got it! Thank you Scott! I was in a bit of a panic there for a minute! :)

electrifiedmale

Sunday, May 5th 2013, 7:51am

Flooded Valve Box

Same thing happened to me. No problem as long as you have grease caps on the wire connections.