You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rando67

Sunday, May 5th 2013, 6:04pm

Startup of new system:pop-ups don't pop up

After complete success designing and installing a pop-up system for my Mom's flower box using 1/2" pvc pipe and Irritrol I-PRO400 sprinklers, I decided to tackle my own irrigation system for my small 800 sqft lawn. The system was designed using 1" poly pipe with Blazing 1" couplers that have 1/2" risers. Once again I have used Irritrol I-PRO400 sprinklers with PRO-VAN-8 8 ft. adjustable arc sprinkler nozzles. The total run is 65 ft and is connected to a garden faucet with a 20 ft run of garden hose. The pressure at the faucet is 70 psi. There are a total of 8 sprinkler heads. The garden hose is attached to the end of the 1" poly pipe by a 1 in barb by 1/2 in reducing barb poly pipe coupling. The system is layed out on level ground. When I turn on the water, none of the pop-ups pop up and they all just weakly gush water. If I pull up the pop-up, it does spray properly but has no force. There are no leaks in the system. I am at wits end, please help!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 5th 2013, 8:54pm

You overdrew your water account. Either increase the supply, or reduce the flow from the heads. (or split the zone in two or more pieces)

Scott76

Monday, May 6th 2013, 10:44am

When desiging something like this, the pressure is important, but the flow is more important. You can do a 5 gallon bucket test to see what flow you have available from that spigot, which is usually a 2 person operation. Take a 5 gallon bucket and a stop watch. Turn the water on to full flow. Have someone start the stop watch when you move the bucket under the flow. Stop it when the bucket is full. With that time you can figure out your flow available. Take your total time to fill the bucket and divide it by the size of the bucket. That gives you the flow time for 1 gallon. Take 60 and divide it by the time for one gallon and that will give you your gallons per minute.

WIth the gallons per minute, look at a flow chart for the sprinkler heads.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/chart_VAN.pdf

The chart shows a max reading for 30 psi, which you are certainly over. Something to consider is using PRS (Pressure regulating stem) heads which limit the flow to 30 psi, reguardless of the input pressure. This will allow you to know the exact flow needed for that zone.

If you would like to post the layout (Van 8's on 90's, 180's, 270's, and 360's) and the time to fill a 5 gallon bucket, I will be more than happy to assist you in setting things up.

rando67

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 5:37pm

Solved problem: Thanks

I want to thank Wet-Boots and Scott76 for their expert advice. After splitting my irrigation run into two zones, all is well with my pop-ups. A little fine tuning was necessary with my sprinkler heads to get the coverage right, and I have to stagger the start time of the zones, but all is well. I had indeed "overdrew my water budget".

Thanks to the experts,
rando67

Rate this thread