You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sledstormed

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 7th 2013, 11:59pm

Water leaking from Hunter jar top valves when turned on.

Hello, I just charged up my sprinkler system for the summer and noticed two of the ten valves leaking in the valves box when the zone was turned on (sprinklers still function). It appears they are leaking from the bottom of the valve somewhere. I took one apart and noticed the diaphragm was dirty (irrigation water). The valves are Hunter 100JT-MB's and are 3 years old. So I decided to take all ten apart and clean them all. Now, after reassembling them, 8 of the 10 are leaking and my valve box is turning into a vole swimming pool. I put them back together the same way they came apart. I tried placing the diaphragm in the cup first then the top and vice versa and they still leak. Am I just not getting the diaphragm to seat or do I need to replace the diaphragms? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 8th 2013, 11:09pm

When you install the diaphragms place them in the valve body first. Then try to seat the top part of the valve by pressing down. Maybe wiggle it back n forth a bit. Once you're certain everythings seated, tighten the jar lid. Keep pressure on the bonnet holding it in place with one hand as you tighten the top. Eventually the bonnet might twist a tad but that's ok.
Just make sure all the parts are free of debris.
If it's still leaking crank it tighter. Use a big pair of channel locks. If you've been tightening them by hand that could be the problem right there. Maybe you'll get lucky and break it so you can install a better valve.
--
I'm not a fan of jar tops of any brand. I've had the same problem you're describing with the Irritrol jar tops.