You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 10:09pm

Replaced a cover o-ring, now what's wrong?

I started up my system this spring and had a leak from the cover of the back flow assembly. It is a Watts 009m3-rc3 3/4" backflow device. I purchased an o-ring repair kit, replaced the o-ring, and now I have water exiting the top of the cover through a tiny little relief that has a tiny copper plug in it. I don't know what I did wrong or if there is just something wrong with this little pin that goes in the hole. It doesn't look like it had a washer there and it looks like it always has had a gap for overpressure relief. It is not the port that you can hook air up to or testing equipment. The pin is very small and can be removed with a screw driver. I am thinking that this is not my problem, that I need a new diaphragm and it is just functioning the way it was designed. I can't take a picture small enough to attach here. Sorry.
Thanks - John

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 10:17pm

go strictly by the factory manual on these things

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 7:32am

go strictly by the factory manual on these things

Seriously, anything helpful would be appreciated. I obviously went by the manual, that is how I purchased the kit. The Manual is not helpful in this case.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 10:12am

There is often a need to apply some silicone grease to RPZ parts you are re-assembling, to get a perfect leak-free fit. This would especially be true for the relief valve section. Look for this in your manual.

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 12:03pm

There is often a need to apply some silicone grease to RPZ parts you are re-assembling, to get a perfect leak-free fit. This would especially be true for the relief valve section. Look for this in your manual.

Do you know if there is a piston o-ring on the top part of the plastic relief valve? If so, I think this is what went missing. I have only found it in one schematic and it is not in the manual.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 8:39am

Any rubber portion of the relief valve might only be sold in a separate kit - here's a cross-section diagram of a larger-size 009, with the dark spots indicating rubber sealing points, including the relief valve piston

Rate this thread