You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

enders

Starting Member

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 7:26am

Can I change my zones?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, sorry if I have it in the wrong area.

We've just bought the house we've been renting for the last couple years so I have a system that I am familiar with but have been unable to make any changes to. I have a couple things going on.

#1: We are extending our patio which will displace three sprinkler heads. One of them is a rotor (on a separate zone from the other two), can I just change that to a regular spray head? One I just need to turn off completely - can I just cap it? The third one I would like to change to a drip type head, is this ok to do with the current water pressure/zone set up?

#2: My zones are stupid. I have read that it is not good to have rotors and regular heads on the same zone - what are your thoughts on this? I have two zones that run in the back and front yard at the same time. My front yard gets a lot more sun than the back and has much more run-off type drainage, so I do not want to water the back yard every time/for as long as I water the front (I know I need to read about the best way to program to help my front yard). I've not found much information about adjusting zones of existing systems, one video I did see talked a lot about getting the water pressure correct and all kinds of things like that that seem a little intimidating.

Is it even possible/feasible to change zones around? Is this a DIY type project or something better left to professionals? If I do have to call a professional, what are reasonable charges to work on something like this?

Thanks...

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 11:50am

You said the front and back are coming on at the same time. Maybe two valves are wired together. Maybe you can seperate them.

The three sprinklers along the patio. You said 1 is on another line with rotors. Maybe you can just trench over and add the one sprinkler to the other line.

Yes you can just cap off any head you like.

Go ahead and do the drip thing. See what happens. It will probably be ok. If not then you'll figure something else out.

As far as costs go. I don't have much for you to go on. Guys here charge anywhere from 45 per hour to 100 per hour. You can't tell from someone's hourly rate as to how good they are. Your best bet is to ask your friends if they know of someone who's good. The jobs you've described are simple though. You can do it..

Rate this thread