You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

apbling

Unregistered

Sunday, July 7th 2013, 7:39am

I have not spent any money on a PSV or the relay yet. (I had the relay last year when things worked).

OK, I understand that the jet pump recirculates. Maybe I'm not being clear, but IF I had a centrifugal pump...say 1 HP, shut off pressure of 45 psi. I hook it up to my pump relay controlled system. Out of the 50 or so people in my area that have a point well and sprinklers, seriously 1 has pressure tank. They can't all have this issue. Anyway, wouldn't my hypothetical 1 HP centrifugal pump have the same issue I'm having now? If the shut pressure is 45 psi, I'd get a PSV in that neighborhood, but if it dead heads for 2 sec before the valve opens, it won't really do me much good...

apbling

Unregistered

Sunday, July 7th 2013, 11:32am

Forgot to ask this:

I'm interested in thermal protection. All I see on the sprinklerwarehouse site are the smart box relays, which are more than I want to spend. I looked locally at a few places (like Home Depot) but either they don't have something or I'm not looking in the right place. Do you have any recommendations? It appears that the new pumps have an internal thermal protection system. My pump is 20+ years old Red Jacket pump, so I don't know if it has this protection.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 8th 2013, 5:13pm

I took the pruning shears to this thread because my answers got cross-pollinated with another pump matter.

Anyway, if you can't get a pressure relief valve to open as much as you want to, at some pressure of your choice, and still have it staying completely closed at system operating pressures, the response from pressure relief valve manufacturers is "so what" because the pressure relief valves you see are intended for protecting multistage submersible pumps. They simply don't snap fully open. They open gradually while pressure rises another 10 psi or more. All you can do is fiddle with the thing, or buy one or two more and see if they work any better for you. For what it's worth, even a fraction of full pump output is good enough protection.

Rate this thread