You are not logged in.

smdowda

Monday, July 8th 2013, 9:30am

No idea where to start

Hey there!! I am a pretty decent DIY homeowner and I was hoping to get some help with my irrigation system. I have two zones (2 & 6) that won't shut off, that aren't back to back. When 6 first started acting up I would just cut the water supply off and it would go back down and reset to zone 1. When zone 2 stopped switching over, it just stopped the system, now I can't get it to go to any of the other zones. I'm not sure where to start and on top of that some of the pieces from the irrigation system - installed in the 80s - are things my dad has never seen, so he isn't much help on this one. If someone could help with any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!
?(

mrfixit

Monday, July 8th 2013, 9:41am

It sounds like number 6 needs a new diaphragm. You could try turning the flow control down a turn or two to see if that helps.

There might be a bad solenoid on number 2 or 3. If number two works then the system stops when it switches to 3 then check number 3.

Since things have stopped working the controller probably needs resetting or possibly there's a blown fuse due to the bad solenoid.

There's a lot of thing I haven't mentioned. I'm just sending you to the most likely causes.

smdowda

Monday, July 8th 2013, 10:42am

As for 2, it won't move to the next zone, it just keeps watering and will until I cut off the water. Sorry I didn't explain that clearly.

Also I have these little brightly colored test tube looking things with wires coming out of them. What are those exactly? That's what my dad hasn't seen before.

Thanks for your help!

mrfixit

Monday, July 8th 2013, 11:27am

Test tubes = grease caps. They just waterproof the wires. Nothing in there will cause your symptoms.

It sounds like a controller issue to me with valve number 2. What's the model of the controller?
Check the run time on valve number 2. It might be set to a few hours instead of minutes.

Rate this thread