You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

eagle670

Tuesday, July 16th 2013, 10:43pm

help for garden irrigation

I have a 20x30 garden that I want to irrigate. I have several different types of sprinkler heads that are circle and rectangular spray patterns. My problem is that I don't have enough pressure to operate them. I bought a booster pump from harbor freight but it still doesn't have enough pressure. The heads do not even pop up. I have the heads connected in line, 6 total, with 1/2 inch pipe. The supply line is a 3/4 inch garden hose that is hooked to the pump. The pump is rated at 71psi, according to the book, but the outside of the box says that it has a max psi of 36. So I am not sure what it is really. The hoses on the pump are 4 ft each so what ever the psi really is should not have any loss when it enters the 1/2 inch pipe to the heads. What do I need to do to get this to work?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 8:32am

You need to get a grip on the friction-loss numbers for various pipes and fittings, since you are probably trying to force too much water through too small a pipe.

and as for a Harbor Freight pump? - meh

eagle670

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 8:46am

My knowledge of lawn irrigation is next to nothing, so that is why I came to the experts for advice. Just tell me what size pipe that I need to use and as to how many sprinkler heads to I need to cover the area. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Oh and I understand the Harbor Freight opinions, I was looking for a quick fix, I am taking it back tomorrow and going to get a better pump, but I am not sure what I need to buy.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 9:18am

just use a hose-end sprinkler for now, because you need to go back to school and learn what's what - this site has some good tutorials, and links to more

first you learn - then you act

eagle670

Wednesday, July 17th 2013, 8:29pm

Just wanted to see if I could get some answers, thought that was what forums were for. Sorry to have bothered you, I'll go look for answers elsewhere.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 18th 2013, 1:28pm

You have to give to get. You have unknown sprinklers that aren't working, in conjunction with an unknown pump, with a garden hose in the water pathway. You need a crystal ball to get answers for that combo.

And as long as you are employing garden hose, you could have one single high-mounted sprinkler cover the entire garden, and you could feed the garden hose with a clock-controller valve. Job done. No pump needed. No tutorials.

Rate this thread