You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sdiver2489

Unregistered

Friday, July 26th 2013, 1:05am

Extreme pressure loss

Hello all,

I had a sprinkler system installed recently and I came across an issue I believe may be reducing my performance.

I opted for all Rainbird 1800 PRS SAM sprayers and 5000+ Rotors. We have very high water pressure in our sub division (100+ PSI) so all the homes here have pressure regulators.

I set the pressure regulator to a pretty high 80psi. My issue is that when I turn on any zone except two shrub zones my pressure drops to approximately 30-35PSI.

Zone 1 (shrub zone) - 8 sprayers
Zone 2 (shrub zone) - 4 sprayers
Zone 3 - 6 sprayers (65-70 psi)
Zone 4 - 4 rotors (34 psi)
Zone 5 - 4 sprayers (one is a 18-VAN) (50psi I believe)
Zone 6 - 4 rotors(33 psi)
Zone 7 - 4 rotors(33 psi)
Zone 8 - 8 sprayers(40 psi)
Zone 9 - 9 sprayers (35psi)

It would seem that I have a gpm limitation here but I guess I'm surprised because I have good water pressure. The home is new and has what I believe is a 1" plastic service line going to a 1" ball valve, then a 1" pressure regulator, then a water meter, then another ball valve then a 1" copper pipe to a 1-1/8" pex pipe to another ball valve and then out of the house via 1" copper pipe to the vacuum breaker/backflow preventer and valve box. This interior run of pipe is probably 20 ft.

I am measuring the pressure at a bib that comes off this 1-1/8" pex line with a 1/2" stub.

Is there anything in particular I should look at that might be limiting my water flow. I suppose its possible that they used small diameter water lines for the sprinkler system but I believe he specced out 1" pipe. Can certain valves, vacuum breakers, backflow preventers, pressure regulators or some other device in line severely limit the GPM?

I am possibly going to try changing spray zones to hunter MP rotators but that doesn't fix the rotor zones.

The system works yes, but I'm irritated that I paid for pressure regulated heads but I'm not even exceeding the pressure where they are necessary. I can't imagine someone with my incoming pressure should have this issue.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 26th 2013, 5:19am

Try increasing the pressure regulator output to 90 psi. Then take inventory again. You may need to try 100 psi.