You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

waketige25

Friday, March 26th 2004, 8:13am

Water pressure problem?

****o, first timer with a question?

I am currently looking at putting a sprinkler system in for my yard, and have very low water pressure at my house. I sit on a flag lot, approx 100' off the main road. My house is fed with a 3/4" pipe and is run off a 5/8" meter. Currently my water pressure is approx 40 psi at the hose bib, and very low gpm (gonna measure the gpm today). My question is, can anything be done to boost that pressure, or am i gonna have to change the meter and water line?. The city stated that pressure in my area is approx 67-87 psi.

Thanks

Dylan

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, March 26th 2004, 1:23pm

You are measuring your pressure at the hose bib?? You most likely have a pressure regualtor between your meter and the hose bib. Thats why you need to tab in close by the meter. You most likely have those 67-87 if its city water. If not and they claim you do-

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, March 26th 2004, 6:26pm

When a pressure regulator is installed, there is usually one hose bibb that is connected before the regulator.

The first thing to do is try checking the pressure at each hose bibb to see if you get a different reading.

If you can follow your plumbing (like it's all in an open basement) look to see if there is some funny looking device the water pipe is running through soon after the water source enters the house.

waketige25

Saturday, March 27th 2004, 9:31am

Thanks for the information,
I found the pressure regulating device and turned it up. I am getting a approx. 75 psi to my house now. Measured it off the same hose bib, and let a faucet run. Do I have to worry about too much pressure? I have a newer home (built in 2000, is it all right to turn it up all the way? Thanks again, I was getting a little worried I had a leak.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 28th 2004, 4:08am

I would of not turned up the regulator. That is ment for longevity of your houshold plumbing. Plus it helps conserve water in your houshold. You might also experience water hammering in your smaller piping.

You should t of by the meter or before the regulator for your sprinkler system.

I'm sure others would agree

waketige25

Sunday, March 28th 2004, 7:09am

Thanks for the information, I will turn it back down, I can tap into the water supply line prior to the pressure regulator valve, which will give me approx 75-90 psi for the sprinkler system, and lower psi inside the house.
Thanks again

rain man

Sunday, March 28th 2004, 3:23pm

I would not plan to run your heads at 80-90 psi either, you will experience hammer and wear on your system. You may want to install a second pressure regulator off the tee to your sprinkler system and regulate down based on estimated pressure losses for a target of 50psi working pressure at your rotors.

Rate this thread