You are not logged in.

Monday, April 5th 2004, 8:45am

Broke 3 sprinkler heads

I have snapped 3 sprinkler heads off with my lawnmower in the past year. How do I get the broken part out of the PVC pipe? Do I have to cut the whole section of pipe out and start again?

Help me, I have a fountain bubbling in my front yard because I can't put a new head on, or get the old one out.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Monday, April 5th 2004, 1:59pm

What brand heads do you have? Did you just break up the top end. You might get away with just twisting off and replacing the guts on the housing.

Tuesday, April 6th 2004, 5:24am

The threads are broken off inside the pvc pipe and there is nothing to grab off and twist out. It's kind of like when a lightbulb bets broken while it's still in the lamp and you have to use a potato half to unscrew it. It *****.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 6th 2004, 6:45am

This happened to me once and I jammed one side of a pair of robogrip pliers and started twisting and I got the threads out.
Thanks,

Pete

Wednesday, April 7th 2004, 12:15pm

Quoted

<i>Originally posted by drpete3</i>
<br />This happened to me once and I jammed one side of a pair of robogrip pliers and started twisting and I got the threads out.

I am not terribly handy or familiar wit tools....Where would I get robogrip pilers and how much do they run? My brother-in-law is suggesting I cut out the problem areas and replace them with new pvc pipe and heads.....either way they will both be firsts for me.

Thanks
Rico

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 7th 2004, 12:25pm

When you use the light bulb analogy have you ever heard of using a potatoe to get the base of the light out by pushing it on to the broken bulb? Is there any thing that you have that is firm that you can wedge into the hole and twist to try to unscrew the broken threads.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread