You are not logged in.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 6th 2004, 6:13pm

Hope PVC Unions don't leak

I've come up with a cool design that allows me to place 4 valves AND an inline presure regulator that all fits inside a 12x17 box, and all the pieces are servicable. I can even modifiy the design slighly to have 4 valves, 2 before the regulator (sprinkler) and 2 after the regulator (drip irrigation).

BUT...

The design relies HEAVILY on the use of unions so that pieces can be removed without destroying the piping system (i.e. no cutting of plastic, even if an entire component has to be replaced).

So far, the only thing wrong with the design is that the whole works will have to be dug up out of the ground and totally be replaced should any one "wrong" sections of a union become damaged (i.e. starts to leak to the point that replacing the rubber gasket isn't enough to fix it).

Any comments?

mugentuner

Advanced Member

Friday, May 7th 2004, 4:25am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HooKooDooKu</i>
<br />I've come up with a cool design that allows me to place 4 valves AND an inline presure regulator that all fits inside a 12x17 box, and all the pieces are servicable. I can even modifiy the design slighly to have 4 valves, 2 before the regulator (sprinkler) and 2 after the regulator (drip irrigation).

BUT...

The design relies HEAVILY on the use of unions so that pieces can be removed without destroying the piping system (i.e. no cutting of plastic, even if an entire component has to be replaced).

So far, the only thing wrong with the design is that the whole works will have to be dug up out of the ground and totally be replaced should any one "wrong" sections of a union become damaged (i.e. starts to leak to the point that replacing the rubber gasket isn't enough to fix it).

Any comments?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would just say to inspect the 'O' rings and make sure they have no wear/tears and that the unions are hand tightened till you can't turn anymore.

Rate this thread