You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

GCRoberts

Friday, May 14th 2004, 8:43am

Piping questions

I'll preface my question by stating that I live near Buffalo, NY....so obviously we have very cold winters. I have 3/4" copper service line which I'll be converting to 1" (or maybe larger?) copper right after the water meter. I plan on taking that to the outside of my house (over the foundation) and running to an outside (but probably covered) Backflow preventer that's mounted a foot or two above ground level. Still using 1" copper, I'll go into the ground where it will start splitting off to the valve boxes placed strategically around my house. Obviously, I'll be running poly pipe under the ground (hopefully 1" is large enough). My question is: Can you run copper pipe outside the house like that and into the ground? Should I be using a galvanized steel pipe? I would think I could stick to copper since I'll be winterizing the system every fall. Or is there a better choice? Any help would be appreciated. I know you're not supposed to use poly pipe for the source because of the pressure. And PVC might crack in the winter...even with the water removed...right?

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Friday, May 14th 2004, 9:40am

You can drive copper outside and into the ground.

These days many run copper from the meter to the PVB then drop to PVC or even Poly

dennyboy34

Wednesday, May 17th 2006, 11:44am

I would go with copper over galvanized outdoors. You can certainly bury copper without too many worries; in fact copper is used for main water supply lines to many homes. As far as PVC cracking over the winter, it certainly becomes brittle when cold. So, if it's full of water and freezes, or if it's hit when cold, it may crack, but it will hold up well otherwise, especially if buried. A last PVC concern though, if you have any ground movement (frost heaves or settlement), that may cause trouble for buried PVC.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 18th 2006, 6:07am

I would suggest that you make sure to use Type L or Type K copper, for sure at least the parts that stick out of the ground (for strength if nothing else). You'll find Type M to be cheaper, but that's because it's thinner.

Rate this thread