You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

foobarro

Sunday, May 16th 2004, 9:59am

turning on system this spring with Febco 765-1

I'm a sprinkler novice (bought a house a few years ago which had a spinkler system installed, my first ever). Over the last few years, I've had a sprinkler service both winterize *and* turn on the system in the spring - this year I want to at least turn the system on myself, since I think I ought to be able to at least do that!

I have a Febco 765-1 backflow device installed. My problem is this - when I turn on the main water feed to the sprinkler system from inside the house, water leaks from everywhere at the Febco unit. I don't think it's damaged, as it was professionaly winterized, but you never know. I did turn the water on full blast the very first time I tried this, I hope that didn't damage anything. Could someone tell me what position the valves and knobs are supposed to be in, and basically what the correct procedure is to turn this baby on each year?

I'll describe the valves/knobs I have - the main water feed comes from inside the house. Then I have what looks like a regular water spigot knob - that's currently closed. Then there's a valve along the pipe itself (it's currently parallel with the vertical pipe, I presume open?), then you come to the Febco device. Both of the little valves off to the left (the ones that you adjust with a flat head screwdriver) are parallel to the little horizontal pipes (I presume that's open?). Then after the Febco device, I have another valve along the pipe itself (also parallel with the pipe, this time horizontally, I presume that's open?). Then the pipe goes back down into the ground, and I presume to the rest of the sprinkler system.

Thanks in advance!

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Sunday, May 16th 2004, 4:44pm

Those little valves that you are talking about are test cocks and should be closed. Close the valve on the outlet side and try again. At first you will have water flow out of the top, which is called the bonnet. It should seal and you will be ready to go. I hope that helps.

foobarro

Monday, May 17th 2004, 3:20am

Thanks very much for the response mrwettech - when you say "Close the valve on the outlet side", do you mean close the thing that looks like a water spigot knob?

Thanks again in advance....

foobarro

Monday, May 17th 2004, 3:25am

A picture is worth a thousand words... when you look at this image of the Febco unit:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=585

... I'm guessing that what I'm supposed to do is leave the blue valves open, and close the 2 test cocks that stick out to the right -- correct? And when you say "close the valve on the outlet side", again, I'm guessing that you mean something that isn't pictured here, which in my case looks like a regular garden hose spigot knob. Right?

Also, when I turn on the main water feed, does it matter if I turn it on full blast at first, or should I do it at a slow trickle? And should I close the 2 test cocks before I turn the water feed on, or after?

Thanks again, sorry for my newbie questions...

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Monday, May 17th 2004, 3:56pm

Close both the blue handles, which are called ball valves, perpendicular to the line. They will be in the off positions. Also turn off the test cocks. "Slowly" turn your water on to the device. Go back to the device and "slowly" open the lower ball valve to the point of being fully open. You will have water coming out of the top at first but it will/should seal. Then "slowly" open the outlet valve, the highest valve, until there isn't the sound of water flowing. Open all the way at that point. DO NOT open those valves fast. That will cause a water hammer which will put a shock wave to your system's piping. You should be ready to go at that point. I hope that helps.

foobarro

Tuesday, May 18th 2004, 2:52am

Thanks so much mrwettech for the detailed response. I will try it out today or tomorrow and report back if any problems. Again, thanks!!!!

foobarro

Tuesday, May 18th 2004, 5:44pm

OK, problem. When I slowly opened the lower ball valve, I did get water out of the top -- but it never stopped. I waited a good 4 or 5 minutes....

One thing I should mention is that prior to coming to this forum, I tried turning things on myself with no idea what i was doing. I turned the water on full blast; *all* of the valves and cocks were open at the time. Could I have damaged the Febco device by doing that?

What do I do/try now?

Thanks again...

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 3:12pm

No. You probably didn't damage it. Did you slowly open that ball valve to the point of being open all the way? It is necessary to do so. Try once more and slowly open it to the point of being fully open. I understand that slowly to me may have a different meaning to you. On that particular valve it should only take a couple of seconds from closed to open. However, the other valve will take a little bit more time. If it continues to flow from the top let me know and I'll try to help you out with more detail. Please let me know one way or the other.

foobarro

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 4:12pm

Thanks. I slowly opened the valve, but to your point I probably didn't open it over the course of just a couple seconds - probably more like 5 or 6 seconds. What flow should I have the main cutoff inside the house at before I open the valve? I just had it on a bit more than a trickle...

mrwettech

Advanced Member

Wednesday, May 19th 2004, 4:18pm

The main shut-off should be fully open. That sounds like that may have hampered it from sealing. Correct that and give it a try. I feel that you may have it now.

Rate this thread