You are not logged in.

thetobster

Wednesday, May 26th 2004, 12:58pm

All zones on?

****o from the new guy!
[:I]
Forgive me if I don't get the terminology correct, as watering systems is not my forte.

I was just asked to take over grounds maintenance at my church. I went to get the sprinkler system going, but am having trouble.

Using an Imperial 22 zone Timer. Runs in two cycles to cover all zones.

Here is my problem. When I turn on the supply valve, on the Febco anti-siphon, it seems as if all of my valves are open. All sections are trying to water at the same time. I played with the timer to see if I could change zones, but it just goes through the cycle and never isolates a zone?

What am I missing here? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

bobw

Advanced Member

Wednesday, May 26th 2004, 6:40pm

First thing I'd check to see if indeed all of the valves are open! I don't know if you live in an area where winterization is required, but I do know some people that leave the valves open after blowing them out in the fall.

Also, does this happen even if the timer is off?

thetobster

Thursday, May 27th 2004, 3:57am

Thanks for the quick response. I live in Colorado, so winterizing is a must. I am not sure of the mechanics of the valve, so I have not ventured into them too deep yet.

Yes, the water does seem to flow even with the timer off. As I feel each of the the water lines going to the different zones, it feels like water running through them and the heads in the respective areas seep water, but never pressurize. I can hear a series of what sounds like clicking at the various valves.

Again, thank you for helping the new guy.

bobw

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 27th 2004, 4:33am

Sounds like the valves are open then. Check each valve. There are a couple of different ways that they could be opened. Check the solenoid (normally a black cylinder with a couple of wires sticking out of it), turn it counterclockwise to close it. If it is already closed, then check to see if the top of the valve has a bleed screw on it (looks just like a screw); if there is one, attempt to tighten it down as well. NOTE: these operations should be done by hand, if you use tools, be careful not to overtighten....

Repeat for each zone (one valve per zone).

thetobster

Thursday, May 27th 2004, 5:42pm

Thanks again for all of your help!

As you suspected, the bleed was open. It took me a bit to find it, as it was down and to the side. Now that I was able to to that, I have 3 damaged heads to replace. The upshot, is that it is working.

Sorry to be so clueless, but the grass will thank you!!

bobw

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 27th 2004, 6:21pm

No problem, glad to be of help. Don't feel clueless, a lot of us here are professionals and we do this everyday. We have seen almost everything, so we can take it for granted....

Rate this thread