You are not logged in.

dazed

Unregistered

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 2:10pm

What did I just destroy?

I damaged something with my lawn mower, but I don't know what it was, so I have no idea how to go about replacing it. I'm 90% sure that the "something" was part of my irrigation system. Please let me explain:

In the corner of my back yard, there is a round, white plastic thing that sticks up about an inch above the ground level. It is located at the low point of the property, at the bottom of a slope.

In any case, I tore it to shreds with my lawn mower. After breaking it, I could see water inside it.

I've taken pictures and linked to them below in hopes that someone can help me identify this item and obtain a replacement. (In one of the photos, water can be seen inside.) Any advice (What it is, where to get another, installation caveats) would be greatly appreciated!

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/5391/dsc00567j.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6849/dsc00568cp.jpg

mrfixit

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 3:14pm

It's just a slip cap. I can't tell what size it is. It might pull right off. Take it with you or measure it. Maybe you can look at it to see what size it is. It says right on there somewhere if the lawn mower hasn't destroyed that part.

The Home Depot or any irrigation supply store has them.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 3:50pm

Possibly a cleanout.

dazed

Unregistered

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 5:46pm

Thank you for the responses.

Indeed it is a PVC slip cap. I can tell by looking at it more closely.

The ID seems to be 2". Unfortunately it does not simply slide off. I can't see any purple stuff so I'm unsure what they used to secure it. Doesn't matter anyway since I managed to damage not just the slip cap but the first 2" or so of PVC pipe it covers as well. I guess I have to remove some earth to get access, cut off the PVC pipe semi-cleanly (I know it doesn't need to be all that neat a cut since it's just getting covered with another slip cap), then put another slip cap over it.

I guess the good thing is that once I'm done, it will be too low to be nicked by another lawn mower!

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why a PVC pipe might be sticking up and capped off at that location in the first place?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 10:04pm

could be a cap to a sleeve to go under a driveway.

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

dazed

Unregistered

Monday, May 9th 2011, 7:37am

Thanks, but this thing is at the extreme back corner of my property, within inches of the property line corner. Nothing around but a field and my yard. I know there's PVC in that area because there's a rotating sprinkler very close by, but I could not understand why they'd have the pipe coming up and cap it off slightly above ground level. Now that I know what I have to do, I'm not worried about it--just a little curious.

Rate this thread