You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 19th 2014, 7:21pm

Reinherited a disaester of a system.

Well, I spent the day examining a site I have a maintenance contract with. It's a community college here in the metro. For the last couple years, they have been busy with new construction expanding the buildings. Needless to say, 1 of the 4 systems was hacked up pretty good.

The construction is now complete and the contractor the general used for the system repair is also complete. WOW!!! What a hack job! He turned a 12 zone system into 29 zones, and still didn't cover everything. I anticipate having to install an additional 3 zones making the total 32 zones. 32 zones to cover what 12 zones did only 2 years ago. If you've never seen a 1" valve on a 3" main, I recommened it, its cute.

But, to my question. The contractor converted the system to a Hunter 2wire system. My knowledge of 2wire is limited to replacing decoders and splicing wire. Being that he left so much water unused (25 gpm zones from a 3" main at 72 psi static) I figured I would just double or triple up the zones. After reading the Hunter manual, it doesn't sound as though that's possible. Saying that having 2 or more decoders with the same address can cause problems. I read something about Hunter Duo? But not sure if that's my solution. Anybody run across this?

I may just end up pulling in multi strand wire. 6 drip zones on a 3" main, what was this guy thinking?!?! :cursing:

irrigirl

Unregistered

Thursday, August 21st 2014, 5:12pm

2wire

I would call hunter and ask!
http://www.hunterindustries.com/contact-us

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 21st 2014, 6:05pm

I called tech support the other day and they responded that they ran a test and were successful in getting two decoders to operate using the same address. They also said it was a lab experiment and they cannot guarantee success in the field. They are now in the process of running a test to see if using the DUO product would allow operation of 4 decoders.

Rate this thread