You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

birensar

Starting Member

Monday, June 1st 2009, 2:02pm

Zone 1 would not shut off until turning off water supply valve

I have Toro six zone system. One of the sprinkler head for zone one broke couple of weeks before and shut off the connection with a cap because I could not find the proper sprinkler head (a fix pop up head which runds on two sides, it's for my side walk) till then zone 1 will keep on running along with all other zones and even after all zones are done, I have to shut off the main valve for water supply to turn it off.....I am pretty new to system and do not know any thing about that so please go easy on answer.

Your sooner reply will be appreciated.

Biren

worachj

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 2nd 2009, 11:01am

My guess is that by capping off the broken sprinkler head that you have created a situation were you do not have enough water flow (low flow) to close the valve. The specification of the valve requires a min/max flow rate in order for it to open/close properly. I would first try replacing the broken sprinkler head or remove the cap to see if the valve starts to work again. If that fails then try….

Disconnect one of the valve wires. If the valve shuts off, the problem is with the timer. If the valve does not shut off, check the bleed screw to make sure it is not loose or broken. If that fails then try….

Check for dirt or worn diaphragm. Turn off the main water supply. Remove valve cover and diaphragm. Turn water back on and flush out for 15 seconds. Inspect diaphragm for holes/tears replace if necessary.

It sounds like you have one of Toro special pattern spray heads (orange color) for your side walk. I bought mine at Home Depot a couple of years ago. See chart section for special patterns on last page of link below.
http://qa.toro.com/intl/ca_en/irrigation/res/smturfsprink/570z/brochures/570z_gb.pdf

Georgiegirl

Starting Member

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 9:15am

Watering system will not shut off

When I ran my watering system yesterday, it went through two full cycles and was starting the third cycle when I discovered it was not turned off. Help, what is my problem.

Georgiegirl

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 6:25pm

Start times

Hi there, I'm going to assume someone reprogrammed the controller recently. What's been done is very common. People do it all the time. Go back and check the "start" times. Erase all of them but 1. The valves will then run in sequence and not restart.