You are not logged in.

gh1120

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 10:54am

Should I keep laterial leg straight to angel closer to heads?

I have one valve that will T off to go to two laterial legs. One the one side of the leg I have a question. If I keep the leg straight (option A attached) it will be further away from the heads meaning I will have to have longer feeds to the individual heads. The other option (B) is to angle (using 45 elbows) the one leg so that it gets to be within 1 ft of the heads. Which is better? I'm not sure of the angle will impact the water velocity or pressure. Note, the other leg is much longer because it has to cross the lawn to get to the other side before going up the side.
gh1120 has attached the following files:

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 6:42pm

In my opinion, option B looks like a cleaner install with less possibility of damage when any future work is performed at the house. The application is pretty small and doesn't really look like it will make too much difference one way or the other. But, Like I said earlier it looks like a cleaner install with option B.

Good Luck with the Project.

Dan Todd
:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

gh1120

Sunday, April 20th 2008, 8:11pm

Thanks again hi.todd

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, April 21st 2008, 9:36pm

A single 45 elbow will add to friction losses as if the fitting was replaced with about 3 feet of pipe. (At least that's what this web site says: http://www.plumbing-basics.com/water-supply/).

So your addition of a pair of 45 elbows is like adding 6 feet of pipe. So if you are saving at least 6 feet of pipe for plan B, then you will actually be reducing the pressure losses.

But I also agree with Mr. Todd, the distances we're talking about really won't amount to a hill of beans difference.

Rate this thread