You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Dobers

Starting Member

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 10:09pm

Rainbird Maxi/Mini Paw not rotating correctly

Hi,

I recently bought a house that has a sprinkler system installed. I'm having trouble with a couple of sprinklers on a 180 degree rotation whereby they get stuck when it should flip back the other way. I've read that this is usually a pressure problem, but I think my pressure is pretty good. I tested it at an external tap and it's showing 70-80 psi (I don't know how to test the pressure at the sprinkler head though).

I have one Maxi Paw and one Mini Paw playing up. I was thinking of changing to another type of sprinkler such as the Hunter I-20. But before I do that, can anyone give me any pointers on what's going wrong? Is the Hunter a viable alternative?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 6:16am

No reason you can't replace the Maxipaws. With high pressures at the heads you can use PGPs or other rotors. It can be something as simple as a grain of sand in the wrong place, as to why the 'trip mechanism' fails on those impact heads.

mrfixit

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 12:22pm

Why no rotation

Boots is right. Sometimes it's simple. Half the time I'll find a twig or part of a bush growing in there. Then you have other reasons. Sometimes there's a part broken or missing. It could be a pressure problem. Maybe a leak in a pipe you're unaware of. Sometimes they just stop turning and only God knows why. Sometimes putting in a new one makes everyone happy. You can just unscrew the guts and switch them out if digging it up is a problem. I've seen those cemented in a patio. I clean out the cannister with a garden hose before taking the guts out.

I just want to add that you don't want rotors and impacts running on the same zone. Either go all impacts or all rotors. Here's a link that will give you more info than you want to know. It might help you though. Good luck!

http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/turf/Impact_Guide.pdf
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Rate this thread