You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TimCA2

Unregistered

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 2:33pm

1/14 in mains???

Hi again,

one more question. I have a 1 in pipe from the well at 38 to 58 psi. The volume is about 12 GPM. My question is there any benafit to running 1 1/4 PVC from the valve to the heads (MP3000)? Is there a down side ?

Thanks

Tim

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 3:42pm

On the plus, side, larger pipes have less pressure loss. You might find that using 1" pipe everywhere is good enough. If so, then it's cheaper and simpler to just do everything with 1" pipe. But if pressure losses are such that you don't have enough pressure left at the heads, then you have to find ways to reduce your pressure losses, and larger pipes are one of the ways.

On the down side, larger pipe is usually more expensive. From an operation stand point, there's almost never a negative to using larger pipe. But it obviously can hurt more in the wallet.

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Sunday, September 14th 2008, 5:31pm

I agree

To keep your velocity below 5 feet per second, 12 GPM is the maximum you want to push thru. Assuming sch 40 PVC, at that rate the pressure loss is 3.35 PSI per every 100 feet. (as opposed to a loss of only 0.88 PSI/100 feet with 1 1/4 inch). So if you have very long runs, or are operating at a pressure near the heads lowest limit, no need to upsize.

Another disadvantage comes to mind....more water to drain afte the system is off.

Jeff

Friday, February 27th 2009, 12:18pm

on the charts...

There really is no difference of pressure loss with oinly 12 gpm. It it very minor and not worth the money unless you are going over 50 feet to get where you have to go.

www.irrigationsolutions.com