You are not logged in.

worachj

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 1st 2008, 6:51pm

Winterizing a controller

What’s the best way to winterize a controller for the long and cold Minnesota winter? Should I leave it plugged in or should I remove the battery and unplug it? I don’t care about retaining the program information and I was wondering which way was better to help prolong the life of the controller.

Thanks.

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 1st 2008, 10:31pm

Winterizing the controller.

I live in sunny Southern California but I believe I read once that you should go ahead and unplug the controller. Take out the back up battery. I believe the controller will last longer this way. Like you said, you don't care if you lose the programming.

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 8:23am

I agree. Unplug and remove the battery and reprogram in the spring. I will be shutting my system down soon and will restart in may.

worachj

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 10:51am

It was suggested to me that it would be better to keep a current running though the controller during the winter months to keep condensation from forming inside the controller. I would think if condensation were a problem that it would be stated in the controller’s manual to leave it plugged in to avoid the condensation.

Thanks, I will unplug it.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 9:33am

In olden days, the advice was the other way around - keep it plugged in, so that the oil in the motors never separates.

dekarius

Starting Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2008, 4:22am

winterizing controller

For Outdoor mounted controller leave the power on and the dial / switch in the "Off" position. The heat from the transformer will keep the enclosure warm enough to keep condensation from forming inside the controller enclosure. The dial in the "OFF" will keep the controller from activating the solenoids in the field.

For Indoor mounted controller You may either leave the power on and the dial/switch in the "Off" position or you may remove the battery backup and unplug the transformer.

Thursday, March 19th 2009, 3:25pm

when its cold...

you should leave it plugged in, in the off position. Not good to leave the clock off when its that cold.

www.irrigationsolutions.com

Tuesday, March 24th 2009, 9:54am

I think the better idea would be to relocate the timer/controller to an indoor location. Having it inside would prolong it's life alone. Are you able to move it into a garage or basement?

Rate this thread