You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mcnutt

Saturday, November 22nd 2008, 8:48pm

What is a good GPM to have?

I am designing an system and I did the 5 gal bucket test and it filled at 42 sec meaning I have 6.6 GPM is that consider good? My lawn is/was going to use 11 toro 340 model with about 2.35 GPM. That would need about 4 zones. I still have fruit trees and large (35x12) flower bed to do. at this rate I'll need a controler with 12 plus zones, which seem extream to me.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 8:49am

I don't have my calculator close by, but as a contractor that ties into the mainline going into the house from the water meter on a 5/8 inch meter I can expect to get 10 to 12 gallons per minute. On a 1" meter I can expect to get around 18 gallons per minute, tie in as close to the meter or pump as you can, install an isolation valve near the point of connection. You need 30 PSI to run most spray heads. If your are going to use rotors, you will need between 45 and 50 at the head not at the hose bib. You will need more at the tie in an figure on loosing pressure as you go through backflow, pipe, and valves.

Make sure you design with a backflow device in mind, Your trees can use low volume bubblers that should be on a separate zone.

Good Luck
If you get more specific on your source and location we can get more specific with our help.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Friday, February 27th 2009, 12:20pm

You probably have weak pressure.

I would not put more than 3 heads on a zone. Some places with small property have 20 zones to do the job right. You can drill a well and probably get better water.

www.irrigationsolutions.com