You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mbaumann

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 11:07am

How do I install my Sprinkler System under a 20 ft wide Driveway

Help Please, I currently have an in ground Sprinkler System and want to add two new Zones
that are on the other side of a 20 foot wide drive way. I'm looking for help on how to install
the one inch PVC pipe under the drive way. So far the solutions I have read about seem to
risky to my Paved "Tar" driveway. I'm looking for a way that will work the first try and not
cause a BIG mess.

Please help Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 6:17pm

Getting it right the first time for blacktop, would involve hiring someone to bore under the driveway, and install a sleeve for you to run pipes through. Pros will often go completely around a house, rather than bother with going under a driveway.

For cheap, is cutting out a slot with a rental saw, and refilling it with cold patch.

tomthumb2009

Starting Member

Wednesday, January 21st 2009, 9:11pm

installing sprinkler under driveway

HI MIKE
THERE IS A WAY TO INSTALL A PIPE UNDER YOUR DRIVE WAY WITHOUT CUTTING THE DRIVEWAY OR SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY ON BORING CO. CHECK OUT THE VIDEO ON THE WEB, WWW.BULLETMOLE.COM IT CAN DO A HOLE FOR A 20' PIPE
:thumbup: TOMTHUMB2009

Badamcik

Starting Member

Monday, January 26th 2009, 10:51am

Install a pipe under a Driveway

Hi Mike,
I have also used the Bulletmole tool to go under driveways and sidewalks etc.
I have used this tool a hundred times or more.
Do check out their web site www.bulletmole.com
Bill Adamcik

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 28th 2009, 8:44am

RE: installing sprinkler under driveway

HI MIKE
THERE IS A WAY TO INSTALL A PIPE UNDER YOUR DRIVE WAY WITHOUT CUTTING THE DRIVEWAY OR SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY ON BORING CO. CHECK OUT THE VIDEO ON THE WEB, WWW.BULLETMOLE.COM IT CAN DO A HOLE FOR A 20' PIPE
:thumbup: TOMTHUMB2009

You guys have got to be kidding us about the bullet mole... right?

I watched their video, and I must say that this definitely looks like a professional product. But it also comes with a professional price tag. Based on their online store, the cost to bore under a 20' driveway:
6' Sidewalk kit: $650.95 (I assume this is cheaper than getting each part individually).
6' Extension Shaft: $423.95 (times two for a total length of 18')
4' Extension Shaft: $311.95 (to finish the 20' plus a little sticking out to still hit)
TOTAL: $1,810.80 (and that's without the tax/shipping).

For someone needing a one-time bore under a driveway, they could hire a professional and not have to bother doing the manual labor themselves for much less. Based on quotes I've heard over the years when this subject comes up, I would suspect that a 20' driveway could be bored by a professional for $500 - $1,000.

Now I'll admit that this looks like a great tool... FOR A PROFESSIONAL that is going to use it over and over and over. But I assume this is coming from a home-owner that needs a one-time bore, not an expensive tool they will maybe used two other times in their life.

Mike,
Doing it your self or hiring it out will likely come down to the type of soil that you have.
Logically, you can make your own "bullet mole", and even get under a 20' driveway. A way to do it is get a 20' piece of rebar for <$20 and pound you a pilot hole under your drive way. Then pull the rebar out and hammer sections of cheap black pipe. You can make your own pointy tip by getting a reduer at the front end of the pipe with the reducer closed off with a nipple. It will form a crude point that should easily follow your pilot hole.

However, if you have clay soil... experience tells me... HIRE A PROFESSIONAL... or deal with the unsightlyness of cutting a trench through the driveway. Basically rent a saw to cut through the drive way. One idea is to make the trench the width of a brick, and once you have your pipe in place and backfill... top the trench off with nice looking brick.

I can tell you that I was able to drill under my driveway in clay/rocky soil using the rebar+black pipe method. But I can also tell you that it was a 3 day job, a pain in the neck, and that was for a driveway that was only 11' wide (it might have been easier if I had had more than just 5' of working space... but fortunately rebar bends).

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 28th 2009, 8:47am

If your interested... hear's my saga from about 5 years ago trying to bore under my driveway.

Tunnel Under Driveway

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, January 29th 2009, 2:15pm

Trust me, for blacktop, you hire it done, if you're only doing it once.

For the money, you cut the blacktop and drop in a sleeve, and use cold patch to refill. Pick a path next to the concrete sidewalk, and you only need to make one cut. Costs less than fifty bucks.

mbaumann

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 6:56am

Thanks to all, this is what I'm going to do....

Thanks to all who responded to my post, It all has been very helpful.

My Paved Driveway from Tar cost me $6,800 and I do not see me cutting
up the tar with a saw and fixing it with Cold Patch. To big an Investment to cut up.

Also the Soil type I have in my yard is Rocky and I'm sure that using Rebar
will only bend and will be a waste of time. 20 feet is a long way.

I got two different quotes from two Boring companies and the cheapest was
$ 1,050... if they did not hit rock WOW big $$$$$

So based on the fact that I think I may need to Run 120 volt line to a Lamb post
I'm planning that will also need to go under a Drive way and a Concrete/ Slate walk way.
And I would like to run 220 volt line out under my Patio past my pool to a small Pool
house that I'm planning.

I have ordered the BulletMole tool, since after the first job is over I will own the tool.
Second I will have two other jobs for it. And this is a big one I can lend it out to
family and friend/ neighbors. It makes the tool cost affective for me.

I will let you all know how the Bulletmole works for me.

thanks Michael....

BulletMole

Starting Member

Wednesday, February 4th 2009, 2:59pm

Greetings from Bullet Mole,

Well, there is no doubt that the Bullet Mole tool system is built for professionals who install irrigation pipe or electrical conduit under hardscape surfaces such as sidewalks and driveways, and as such it is priced accordingly. Each component is designed and manufactured with different aircraft quality steel alloys and hardening specifications because each performs a different function. The cap has to absorb shock and not crack, the shaft must dampen vibration, and the point must be hard in order to penetrate rocks and not lose its edge.

In addition, the Bullet Mole design allows you to install the pipe as you drive the tool through the ground or to pull an entire pipe length using specially designed pull connectors for PVC and copper without damaging the pipe. If you need to install a larger pipe, simply add our 2 in. Point and Cap kit which is fully interchangeable with each shaft.
Our tool is also designed to allow you to add to the tool set over time and should be considered as an investment like all other professional tools. In addition to its quality, we stand behind the product and provide a one year warranty on any manufacture's defects with no hassles.

We know what its like to do this work because we have done it for over 20 years and have seen every imaginable situation and have tried every imaginable solution, this is why we designed the Bullet Mole so that you don’t have to spend days doing something that should only take minutes. With the Bullet Mole, you can get under a 20’ driveway in under 30 minutes after digging the entrance and exit trenches. So you see it is difficult to compare the Bullet Mole with other "not-so-quick and dirty" methods because it is designed to do so much more at a fraction of the time.

Specifically, for a 20’ driveway, we recommend the following tool setup:
- (1) 4ft Sidewalk Kit, and

- (3) additional 6ft Extensions

This combination well give you 22 ft of distance. We recommend this setup because it gives you the flexiblitiy to use the 4ft tool by itself or the 6ft by itself when doing residential or commercial sidewalks. With a kit discount, this would cost around $1,620 if you were to purchase it at the same time, and.we’ll even throw in a Sled Guide valued at $75 at no extra charge. In addition, we provide great deals to existing customers on parts and accessories throughout the year and when new products are released.

We do not want to oversell anyone and certainly do not expect the tool to be used only once; but if you are a professional looking to simplify this dreaded task, or a homeowner that values professional quality tools for home use, or someone that just wants to get the job done without taking days to do it, we know that you will not be disappointed with the Bullet Mole Tool System.

If price is still an issue, please contact your local tool rental yard, and if they do not carry the Bullet Mole, please contact use at sales@bulletmole.com and we will be sure to get it in there so you can start using it right away.

We at Bullet Mole appreciate the interest in our products and welcome any suggestions to improve them.

Thanks,
Bullet Mole

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 5th 2009, 1:55am

Like anyone believes any of the testimonials here. They, and their posters, stink on ice.

Rate this thread