You are not logged in.

ny_yankee

Unregistered

Friday, April 3rd 2009, 6:28pm

How to lay lines

I looked on this site and page 3 of Sprinkler school says the wrong and right way to lay pipe. A friend of mine who thinks he knows everything says you can run the heads in-line as long as there are no 90's. So what I'm asking is should I follow the "T" way of laying lines or can I get away with the in-line application if I'm only running 2 or 3 heads?

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/DIY-Sprinkler-System-Installation-Step-3-s/5716.htm

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 4th 2009, 6:44pm

The idea between the right { T } and wrong way to do it is that the "right" way is to minimize the pressure losses between the 1st head and the last head. Pressure losses increase as you increase distances the water has to flow and it also increases as you push more water through a given pipe.

In the wrong method, all of the water flowing to the last head had to flow to all the pipes going to the previous heads. But with the Tee method, you quickly start dividing the water flow.

So it's all just minimizing the pressure losses and the pressure differential from the 1st to last head. If you only have three heads, the way you do it likely doesn't have much of a difference.

sanzen96

Sunday, May 3rd 2009, 5:55pm

it really doesnt make a difference when its a residential system. i have installed 1000's of jobs professionally for almost 20 years and i have never had a problem running a zone of sprinkler heads in on straight line. now for really long runs (600 ft or so) and for commercial applications, its wise to tee some heads off or double supply the zone. but if you are doing a 3-6 head typicall rotary zone, you wont have any problems assuming you have the pressure to run the 3 heads.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 4th 2009, 7:04am

Pro systems with poly pipe, will have heads in a line, because it installs quicker, even if they use more 1-inch poly than might otherwise be required.

Rate this thread