You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 5:25pm

water to recreational field

Hi Everyone,

I have a 63yrd x 40yrd recreational field behind my house that I would love to water more efficiently. Currently I use one Nelson Raintrain which waters the field by use of 6 gpm and takes about 8 hrs. I only have about 2 hrs a day to water the field which takes many adjustments of the hose etc... This means it takes me about 4 days to water, which means I need to start rewatering as soon as I'm done!!!

I recently had a 3/4" water meter exchanged for a 1" and placed a T valve just after the meter (6"away). The pipe to the hose was immediatly returned to the 3/4". I opened up the T valve just after the meter and saw it read 10 gallons in 4.6 seconds. Then, later in the day it read 6.4 seconds. This would calculate to 98gpm and 130gpm. The person installing the meter said that the pressure in the neighborhood was 85psi.

My question is, what do I use to transport this water to the back which is 300' away? My initial plan was to place 4 hose connections with valves at one side of the field and run the raintrains across. I believe I have a lot more options with this amount of water and would love to maximize efficiency with regards to the amount of time spent watering. I would also like to keep my playing surface clear of sprinklers which would (I think) elliminate my ability to use the "head to head" design.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jason

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "jason9520" (May 8th 2011, 6:25pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 6:24pm

If you have a RainTrain, you can continue to use it, but you can upsize everything about the setup. That mobile sprinkler can move one-inch hose, no problem. New supply line to the existing connection point. New nozzle on the RainTrain sprinkler. New hose.

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 6:28pm

I was thinking of using either 2 1/4, 2 1/2, or even 3" pvc to keep the volume and pressure to the backyard (300+ ft away). From there I wanted to either use multiple raintrains, or other sprinklers that wouldn't be permanent on the playing surface. Will simply using a larger diameter hose decrease the time it takes the raintrain to do it's job? The idea is to minimize the watering time.

Thanks,

Jason

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 7:00pm

Raintrain = Nelson raintrain or little tractor that uses about 6gpm and waters slowly about a 20' wide piece 100' in an hour. ie too slow http://www.lawnh2o.com/nelson/nelson_rain_train.htm

hope this helps,

Jason

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jason9520" (May 9th 2011, 12:42am)

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2011, 12:48am

Are you sure your not reading a Cubic foot water meter?

100gpm for a 1inch line at 85 psi is impossible. Unless you got like 40fps going through your pipe.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2011, 12:53am

Upgrade to a real system with a controller ,electronic valves and rotor heads

Monday, May 9th 2011, 1:50am

My meter reads 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 and as it goes from 0 back to 0 it only takes 6.4 seconds. I then was sure that no water was running, then open up a nozle and filled a gallon sized jug which brought the meter from 7.5 to 8.5. The meter also shows "gallons". I've stired about this myself but unless the new meter is reading wrong or I'm somehow calculating wrong it's 98gpm and even 130gpm.

I like the ideas of the sprinklers but they would have to be off the playing surface thus no "head to head" design. I thought about lining the edge of the field with sprinklers then using my little raintrain to catch the middle. This would probablly my best case senario if I could figure out how to best get the water to the back and then equally distributed when it gets there.

The distance of pipe from the meter to the corner of the field is about 250'. I would have to travel 120' to get to the other side of the field and then 190' x2 to get to the far end of the field. That's a lot of pipe!!!
jason9520 has attached the following file:
  • Scan.jpg (19.19 kB - 6 times downloaded - Last download: May 9th 2011, 9:44am)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jason9520" (May 9th 2011, 2:13am)

Monday, May 9th 2011, 2:05am

This would be an idea for the pipe layout.
jason9520 has attached the following file:
  • Scan1.jpg (15.55 kB - 4 times downloaded - Last download: May 9th 2011, 4:11am)

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2011, 4:48am

I rarely get to see gallon water meters, especially new ones. Care to take a pic and post it? 100gpm on a 1" line at 85 psi (static) just doesn't seem right. Remember you don't want to use the maximum amount of flow. You should keep the zones to a safe FPS- Feet Per Second(Code is 5 FPS , use to be 7 FPS). I mean you want to be able to use things inside your house while the system is running
Check out this chart

http://www.hunterindustries.com/resources/pdfs/technical/domestic/lit091w.pdf

It shows your maximum Velocity and PSI from your gpm usage dependent on the type of pipe.

The larger the pipe, the less friction loss. But you should only get what's needed. A 1" Meter at 85 psi with 400' pipe. A 2" Sched 40 pipe or class 200" will suffice to support your needs and not over paying for what you don't need. Reducing down to 1.5" for the zones

Not to sure why you can't install heads in the middle of the lawn

If it was me and I had the time and a few bucks to invest I would Install 2" Schedule 40 Main line, 1.5" Class 200 Laterals- Install 4 1.5" Rain Bird PGA valves , Install 2 per zone ( 8 total) Rain Bird 8005's . Keep your gpm lower to reduce water hammer

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2011, 8:46am

There are Rain Trains and there are Rain Trains. If you don't already have one of these, just install a standard system.

Rate this thread