You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jbabq

Starting Member

Monday, May 7th 2012, 12:48pm

Emergency shutoff valve questions

Hi all -- I'm replacing some class 200 PVC in an existing system that's getting brittle and starting to fail in places. In doing this, I need to replace the emergency shutoff which is a basic gate valve that has corroded open. This valve comes off a T in the main copper water line and then has a short stub piece that transitions to the PVC.

I was thinking I would just stub off the T in main line and transition to PVC, then install a PVC ball valve. My local sprinker shop advised against this as the ball valve traps water and is thus subject to freezing. Instead, they recommended a valve like this:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Aqualine-Manual-Straight-Valve-p/sv-075.htm

That valve seems to be used for pressure reduction (which I don't need) instead of just a simple shut-off. The valve lives in a crawlspace under the house so I'm not hugely worried about freezing... but I want to do this right so I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!
Jody in ABQ

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 7th 2012, 1:22pm

If the valve will never see freezing temperatures, a ball valve is fine. The old-style brass valves are an upgrade in reliability.

Rate this thread