You are not logged in.

spoma

Unregistered

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 7:47pm

Garden Drip System

I am creating a zone off my sprinkler irrigation system that is going to be a drip irrigation system for my wife's garden. I ran 1 in. tubing over to the garden and I wanted to use 1/4 in. drip tubing to go around the garden. I was hoping to find a 1in. barbed elbow that reduces to 1/4 in. drip tubing but this doesn't seem to exist.

How do people handle this situation? Is it going to be a problem having the 1 in. feeder tube go to 1/4 in. and just do a drip system? Is this to much pressure?

Thanks for the help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 8:14pm

You can't use 1/4-inch tubing to carry any volume of water, so you don't need the adapter you're asking about.

spray

Unregistered

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 8:20pm

I hope the is a separate zone. You might switch then to 1/2" and if you need to branch off use 1/4". Don't forget to add pressure regulator and filter.

spoma

Unregistered

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 8:48pm

Yes. This is a completely separate zone which is only being used for the drip irrigation.

Wet Boots - If I can't use 1/4 in. tubing then what should I use for this application

Spray - I have the 1 in. pipe heading over to the bed. I can reduce that to 1/2 in. but do they then make a 1/2 in. to 1/4 in. tubing reducer? Do I need to add a pressure regulator and filter even though it is a separate zone? I thought that was only needed if sharing a zone between high pressure and low pressure.

Thanks all for the help.

spray

Unregistered

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 1:10am

Drip is usually 1/2" for distribution through the garden area. Then if you need 1/4" you just punch a hole in 1/2" and insert 1/4" barbed coupler. Your mainline drip would be 1/2".
Drip's optimal operating pressure is 25 PSI. You probably have more than 40 PSI operating pressure. Drip emitters could be easily clogged so you need a filter somewhere after a valve.

spray

Unregistered

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 1:17am

take a look at this manual about basics of drip http://www.digcorp.com/assets/0000/0337/DripIrrigGuide_WEB_LOW.pdf

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 6:39am

Yes. This is a completely separate zone which is only being used for the drip irrigation.

Wet Boots - If I can't use 1/4 in. tubing then what should I use for this application

Spray - I have the 1 in. pipe heading over to the bed. I can reduce that to 1/2 in. but do they then make a 1/2 in. to 1/4 in. tubing reducer? Do I need to add a pressure regulator and filter even though it is a separate zone? I thought that was only needed if sharing a zone between high pressure and low pressure.

Thanks all for the help.
I'd use an 1800-Retro kit, which provides up to 4 gpm of filtered regulated water for small drip applications

Rate this thread