You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

spoma

Unregistered

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 7:47pm

Garden Drip System

I am creating a zone off my sprinkler irrigation system that is going to be a drip irrigation system for my wife's garden. I ran 1 in. tubing over to the garden and I wanted to use 1/4 in. drip tubing to go around the garden. I was hoping to find a 1in. barbed elbow that reduces to 1/4 in. drip tubing but this doesn't seem to exist.

How do people handle this situation? Is it going to be a problem having the 1 in. feeder tube go to 1/4 in. and just do a drip system? Is this to much pressure?

Thanks for the help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 8:14pm

You can't use 1/4-inch tubing to carry any volume of water, so you don't need the adapter you're asking about.

spray

Unregistered

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 8:20pm

I hope the is a separate zone. You might switch then to 1/2" and if you need to branch off use 1/4". Don't forget to add pressure regulator and filter.

spoma

Unregistered

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 8:48pm

Yes. This is a completely separate zone which is only being used for the drip irrigation.

Wet Boots - If I can't use 1/4 in. tubing then what should I use for this application

Spray - I have the 1 in. pipe heading over to the bed. I can reduce that to 1/2 in. but do they then make a 1/2 in. to 1/4 in. tubing reducer? Do I need to add a pressure regulator and filter even though it is a separate zone? I thought that was only needed if sharing a zone between high pressure and low pressure.

Thanks all for the help.

spray

Unregistered

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 1:10am

Drip is usually 1/2" for distribution through the garden area. Then if you need 1/4" you just punch a hole in 1/2" and insert 1/4" barbed coupler. Your mainline drip would be 1/2".
Drip's optimal operating pressure is 25 PSI. You probably have more than 40 PSI operating pressure. Drip emitters could be easily clogged so you need a filter somewhere after a valve.

spray

Unregistered

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 1:17am

take a look at this manual about basics of drip http://www.digcorp.com/assets/0000/0337/DripIrrigGuide_WEB_LOW.pdf

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 6:39am

Yes. This is a completely separate zone which is only being used for the drip irrigation.

Wet Boots - If I can't use 1/4 in. tubing then what should I use for this application

Spray - I have the 1 in. pipe heading over to the bed. I can reduce that to 1/2 in. but do they then make a 1/2 in. to 1/4 in. tubing reducer? Do I need to add a pressure regulator and filter even though it is a separate zone? I thought that was only needed if sharing a zone between high pressure and low pressure.

Thanks all for the help.
I'd use an 1800-Retro kit, which provides up to 4 gpm of filtered regulated water for small drip applications

Rate this thread