You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mac3457

Unregistered

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 2:31pm

Grass has grown over the head of sprinkler, can't find it.

Hi!
So I noticed a section of my lawn starting to brown and realized when the zone came on the one head was not coming up, but the other 3 were. I started clearing the grass away and using a rake and screw driver to poke around in the general area where I know the head is. I can't seem to find it. There is no water leaking out to find it that way either. Is there another way to find it? Or is there a way I can turn off the flow of water to the other heads (Rainbird Min Paw Rotars) to force all the pressure towards the non popping up head to see if it will leak some water or push up some ground?
Thank you,
Carrie

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 3:53pm

Usually there is some bubbling somewhere but it may be so slow that you don't see it. Since it won't open you basically get fast seepage.
Had one last weekend where I could not find any water surfacing. Finally found it by hearing it.
As I got closer the ground got softer and I knew it was close. Then started probing.
It was so deep the water was seeping out under the sod layer.

You can cap of the other heads but with Mini Paws you have to remove them and put a plug in the connection.
Could you have a broken line? Then the water would show in another area, not near the missing head. Capping the other heads might force that to show also.

If you are lucky enough to have a system installed on a consistent grid then measuring head to head of the others will give you an idea of where this one should be. Don't get that kind of luck often.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 5:22pm

Covered heads are common on late-spring startups, but a covered Maxipaw is a bit extreme. You need a shovel, for the express reason of returning the head to the proper position, with the cover at grade.

mac3457

Unregistered

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 8:48pm

Thank you both for the advice. I was trying to avoid the shovel, but I think that may be my only option. It became grown over due to my neighbors grass. They have a type that is super aggressive and I noticed it has grown well onto my side of the property line. I at the moment do not have a mower, so my lawn has yet to be trimmed. Especially, the area by the neighbors. This was a forclosed home and had been neglected all thru last summer etc...so I have parts of grass that grow great and other spots that even with reseeding will just not grow. Just trying to nurse along what I have until I have the money to fix it and make it look nice. And keep the sprinkler system running well. :)
Thank you both again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 23rd 2012, 8:17am

There is a trick that can be used to "shut off" an impact head. You have to remove the nozzle and block it up with a wad of paper, then replace it.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 23rd 2012, 9:58am

Try measuring distance between know heads then use that measurement to maybe find lost one.

Sprinkler Buddy

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 3:36pm

My invention the Sprinkler Buddy solves this problem. Custom fits to rotors and spray heads.
www.sprinklerbuddy.com

spray

Unregistered

Thursday, June 28th 2012, 6:48pm

that is unsightly, imho.

Sprinkler Buddy

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 6:34am

that is unsightly, imho.
That's a close up photo, taken directly above it, it doesn't stand out in the lawn. Here's a photo taken 8-9 yd from the ATV, there's a sprinkler head with the Sprinkler Buddy installed in the middle. Your about 4yd from it. Let me know when you find that unsightly Buddy. :-) I do understand this isn't for everyone, just those that want to save time, money, and water.[attach]79[/attach]

spray

Unregistered

Monday, July 2nd 2012, 1:14am

:D with picture that small I can barely see ATV, not to mention your invention. Do you have it in different shades of green for perennial rye or KBG? J/k. Those who know what they're doing would not need any "buddies" ;)

Rate this thread