You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rayshobby

Monday, January 7th 2013, 12:06am

OpenSprinkler

Hi,

I am a new member here and glad to see a lot of discussions on choosing a controller. I'd like to bring to your attention an open-source controller that I worked on for more than a year. It's called the OpenSprinkler:
http://www.opensprinkler.com

Basically it's an Internet-based sprinkler timer, similar to EtherRain, IrrigationCaddy, CyberRain and other web-based controllers. Some highlights of it:
- Works with modern browsers on any computer system, desktop or mobile; does not use PC or Windows-only software.
- Runs water schedules on its own (i.e. does not require external computer to run) and stores program data and settings in non-volatile memory.
- Supports up to 32 stations.
- Hardware design and software code are both open-sourced. There is a growing community of users contributing to the project, including writing scripts, mobile apps, modifying firmware, and suggesting new features.

I've read some previous posts and am aware that people sometimes prefer conventional controllers. I like web-based controllers because it allows remote setting and monitoring, and more importantly it offers a nicer, more intuitive user interface (in contrast to pressing buttons and turning dials which I never seem to remember without looking at the user manual...). A picture of the controller is attached here. Thanks for reading this post!

[attach]86[/attach]

eganders

Monday, January 7th 2013, 4:01pm

Hi Ray:

I was looking over www.opensprinkler.com just the other day. What CPU is it written for? Looks like a very cool and flexible controller.

rayshobby

Monday, January 7th 2013, 8:22pm

It runs an ATmega328 microcontroller by Atmel. The program is written in Arduino, which is basically a Java-based language. Arduino has been quite popular in the DIY electronics world. People have done all sorts of home automation projects based on it. Here is the website for more information: http://arduino.cc/

eganders

Tuesday, January 8th 2013, 11:24am

So your system is up and running? How is it working out? How many valves are you controlling? Maybe give us an overview of what it's doing, and if you're working on new additions to what it can do?

rayshobby

Tuesday, January 8th 2013, 12:14pm

Yup, the system is up and running. I use it to control 8 zones, but it can go up to 32. Overview can be found on the homepage: www.opensprinkler.com. You will find video demos, user manual, photos, forum there.

Rate this thread