You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

electrifiedmale

Thursday, April 18th 2013, 9:50pm

valves submerged in water.

Hi Folks,

I guess I don't know if I have a big problem or not, so I figured I would ask the professionals. I've done some googling and cannot find anything that really addresses my concern or eases my mind.

I proudly finished my sprinkler system installation a little over a week ago. (all by myself I might add, whew!). I read the irrigation tutorial probably 100 times, planned, drew sketches, and the whole 9 yards. My system works just great. It's at the top of my list as one of the most fun DIY projects I have ever done. I could not be more proud of my work and how the system operates. It's just great to have a sprinkler system now.

Anyways...

So here's the deal. It rained today for the 1st time since I installed it. We got about 2 inches and my valve boxes are full of water. I mean full. the valves are completely under water along with the solenoids and wire connections.
That just don't seem right to me and I'm worried.

I've never had a sprinkler system before, so I don't know if this is to be expected, or if everything being underwater is going to ruin my valves or solenoids.

I'm pretty stupid sometimes, but not stupid enough to turn on my controller with electrical connections underwater, grease caps or not! (I will remedy that worry on Saturday for sure).

How I installed it:
The valve box I believe is 18 inches deep. When I installed it, I put down some paverblock sand in the bottom so I could more easily get the boxes level and situated with the slope of the yard so it would look right and not be lopsided and crooked like I've seen a lot of other folks boxes. I then filled the bottom of the box with 4 or 5 inches of gravel.

The tops of the solenoids are about an inch below the lip of the valve box and there is a few inches of space from bottom of the valves to the gravel.
The top of the valve box is pretty much level with the ground.

For what it's worth, the valves are Hunter Jar Top without Flow Control. Model PVG-100JT.
The wire splices are in Grease Caps.

I can't imagine its OK for the valves and wire splices to be submerged underwater? But maybe I'm wrong?
Being outside and getting wet is one thing. But in my mind, completely submerged for several hours or a day is a whole 'nother deal.

Am I worried about nothing?

as a fyi, the soil here is mostly heavy red clay. Heavy rain creates a lot of run-off and it will take a long time, maybe even a couple of days for this much water to absorb into the soil and completely clear the valves.

anyways, any input you guys might have sure would be appreciated.

thanks,
Dave

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 18th 2013, 11:09pm

The valves will be fine. Once the ground settles from being dug up, you'll notice the boxes wont fill up as much. Hopefully the boxes aren't in low spots, or they will flood every time it rains.

electrifiedmale

Thursday, April 18th 2013, 11:45pm

Hi Central,
Thanks for the reply.

The boxes aren't in a low spot. I thought about that before deciding where to put them.

Again, thanks for the input. I feel much better now.

Dave

SmartEarthAustin

Monday, January 20th 2014, 10:53pm

Sorry for the late reply but here is a little trick we use. The valves will be fine, however the wire connections over time will most likely corrode. A little trick we use while covering the trenches is to put a small piece of gorilla tape/duct tape over the hole in the valve cover to stop dirt from falling in. Since you say the boxes are not in low spots they are most likely filling due to water running over the valve cover.

You can also find valve covers without holes.

www.SmartEarthSprinklers.com

Cheers!
http://www.smartearthsprinklers.com/

Cheers!

Gabriel
Licensed Irrigator
Austin, Texas